Out Of Service ( DEER)

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Hello All, Just a word of warning, to watch out for the Deer out there. I know you can't can't do much to miss them, they come out of nowhere. I hit one last night, on I-69 between Flint and Lansing,MI. Don't know how long it will take to fix my truck. When it gets fixed, I will seriously look at one of those Moose Bar front bumpers. If I had one I would be still in service. Be careful out there. Have fun In what you are doing...Butch...:D :D :D

PS I didn't have Deer Whistles on my truck.LOL:D

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
What a bummer! And it's probably been a while since you cracked up your truck, then 1 deer. Man!
Hope you get it fixed and back on the road soon. Any chance insurance will cover it?

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Yes Insurance will cover it, but I have $1000.00 Deductable. It looks to be about 4K to 5K damage. It got the bumper /Grille/Radiator/ Air condition condencer,and maybe more. Won't know until they check it out. The deer went under the truck between the front wheels, don't know where it came out. Waiting for adjuster to come and look at it. Don't know how long I will be out of service. Bummer for sure. Just when the business is picking up.

Oh Well/ No body got hurt. So I guess thats a Blessing. Just my Pride. Be Carful Drivers. Drive Safely....Butch :( :( :(

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
I was on I-90 in New York last week and a freakin' black bear ran across the highway. I cannot even imagine what kind of damage that would have made.

Brian

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
I have to agree on that. A Bear,Wow, hate to think what that would do to a truck. I'm seriously looking into one of those Moose/Bear front Bumper Bars for my truck after it gets fixed. As much night driving as we do,I think it will be a good investment.

I guess Its just dumb luck,but I have heard drivers say that they have hit 3 or 4 deer a year. Thats not good. I live in Michigan, and I-69 Between Flint and Lansing,even south of Lansing, has a very large Deer population. I have seen herds of them in the fields there. so be very careful in that area.
Drive Safely
Butch :D :D :D

garman351

Expert Expediter
Look at the bright side, most People will freeze their butts off looking to bag one during deer season, and yours just ran out in front of you while you relaxing listening to the radio whatever!

Most deer meat is tought to eat, and yours is already tenderized and ready for the grill.

The best part is you did not have to pay the $23.00 lisence fee. I was just wondering if you were wearing a red vest upon harvesting your deer?

There is always something positive that comes out of a disaster.

G

If you coat the front of the van with Lucas oil additive the deer will just slide right off. Check the archives for more information about how this works.

Seriously, though, I frequently will be driving along late at night feeling a little tired and I will all of the sudden see a deer or two right on the edge of the highway snacking on some grass. It always gives me a burst of adrenaline as I pass them. It's certainly true that we are just as scared of them as they are of us.

Does anyone have a link to a manufacturer of a deer shredder front end guard? I think that past discussions had a link to an Australian kangaroo shredder guard, but the shipping on that would probably be a little high.

Anybody ever hit a deer with a guard in place? How did that go?

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>
>Does anyone have a link to a manufacturer of a deer shredder
>front end guard? I think that past discussions had a link
>to an Australian kangaroo shredder guard, but the shipping
>on that would probably be a little high.

Here's one I'm sure you have never heard of before:
MIK MAK FABRICATION LTD.
RR1 New Liskeard ON
705-647-4667
www.mikmak.net
email : [email protected]

The ad is for
CUSTOM BUILT MOOSE BUMPERS

They are located in northern Ontario in moose and deer country.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
Bambi Killer! Been there, done that, got a t-shirt. Damage to my van was $2600.00, when I hit that one on I-71 in Medina, Ohio. Glad to hear you, or anyone else, wasn't hurt.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
>Bambi Killer! Been there, done that, got a t-shirt. Damage
>to my van was $2600.00, when I hit that one on I-71 in
>Medina, Ohio. Glad to hear you, or anyone else, wasn't hurt.

See, the problem is that you were in Medina. There is nothing but bad things there! Just kidding. My check used to come out of there too before they moved.

B

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bummer! To hit a deer or any animal is always a bad thing, no matter what type of vehicle you are driving.

About the insurance! There is such a thing called animal insurance, which is a rider added to the policy covering said vehicle when hitting any animal, and usually has a $50 deductible. I do know this additional insurance will cover light duty vehicles, but not sure about the bigger D or E units.

Here are a few links to sites for buying bumper guards for vans, EO shouldn't object to for placing them on this forum. The link Rob posted is for the bigger trucks.

J C Whitney = http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...stom-0/N-111+10214+600010645/c-10114/TID-0820

Truck Stuff USA = http://www.truckstuffusa.com/grilleguardssteps.html

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Rob A thanks for the Link. The others are not for what we are discussing. Called one of the companies they do not do anything for big rigs.

What a shame that nice T-3 was damaged. Sent you a private message Flame, please read and respond. I am gona get one of these.

Texas of all places has the largest deer population of any state. Not the largest deer just the most. I drove thru the entire state August 1, 2, 3, 45th 134 etc... you get the picture its a big state and than to compile seeing deer every three or four miles and I am not exagerating the expierence. Convinced me I need grill protection or I will eventually be spending my deducatable instead of buying one of these grills, and loosing out while the truck is down.

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Yes It happened back in April. The damage was over $11,000. and I was out of service for two weeks. Deductable was $1000. and no compansation of any kind for down time. These Bars are worth what you have to pay for them. I contacted one company called ALIARC. The price for my T-300 was $2,000. Sound like a fare price to pay to keep you in service. Drive Safely...Butch :D :D :D