Our Truck's Fuel Use

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When our new truck first hit the road, I was unable to answer questions about fuel economy because reefer and generator use were throwing off the numbers, and the truck was early in its break-in period. We recently completed a series of runs that involved minimal reefer and generator use. The fuel check began in North Platte, Nebaskra. From there we drove to Chicago, New Hampshire, San Francisco, and Gilroy, California where the fuel check ended.

5,376 miles/570.520 gallons used = 9.423 MPG

We believe this is a fair test. The route took us east out of Nebraska with a good tail wind, in and around Chicago suburbs, twice through the mountains of Pennsylvania and New York, west into headwinds on I-80, over the Rocky Mountains, over Donner Pass, and in and around the cities where we had pickups and deliveries. A number of fuel, meal and overnight stops were made in the period.

This is with about 35,000 miles on the truck, we are about three-fifths through the 50,000 mile break-in period in which our dealer tells us to expect fuel economy improvements. Others have said the break-in period is 100,000 miles. We'll see.

The Volvo Driver Information Display showed fuel use ranging from from less than 7.0 MPG (strong headwinds in Wyoming and Nevada) to 13.5 MPG (strong tailwinds in flat-land Nebraska).

With 35,000 miles on the truck, and Where mountains and winds are not a factor, the truck generally gets 9 MPG in town, 9 MPG at 65 mph, and 10 MPG at 55 mph.

Without question, the most significant factor affecting fuel economy is speed. The faster we go, the lower the mpg. People who write truck magazine articles about fuel economy say that for every mph above 55 mph, your fuel economy will decline about 0.1 mpg. We are finding that to be true with our truck.

Truck specs:

Truck: 2006 Volvo VNL
Engine: Volvo DE D12 (12.1 L) 435 HP
Transmission: ZF Meritor Freedomline Automated, 12 speed
Rear Axle Ratio: 3.42
Truck weight empty (curb weight): Approx 34,000 lbs

For complete truck specs, click the "Truck Info" link in my signature block below.