Opinion and advice?

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was and have been planning to build a new van. I want to design it so a driver or team can stay out for a longer period of time in a van. What I had in mind was to buy a cut a way van with an extended wheelbase or maybe even stretch it to accommodate the length needed. Be it a single or dully. Behind the cab have a sleeper unit or your choosing then behind that a unicel box. When I get a whim I sometime act impulsively and pay the price later. I wanted to throw this out and get some feed back just as a precaution. If this is done will I still be under the DOT regulation and not have to run a log. I will keep the weight under 10K, or would I be better off upgrading to a C-unit All your thoughts and advice are welcome

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Its been about 10yrs since I tried to do this very thing.At that time I found it very dificult to keep the weight under 8000# so you could still handle a 2000# payload. Nowdays you have the new sprinter and fiberglass people that may make it work.I finally gaveup,and went with
a "C"truck.Our present truck is not totaly "tricked out"but we love it.Present unit is 2004 Freightliner M2 w/Mercedes 260hp.It has a 84"BENTZ sleeper and a 16ft box.Fuel mpg is 11.9,and can go over 12 when I can keep my foot out of it.I must say life on the road is a lot more livable in a unit like this. Anyway good luck with whatever you choose.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would go with a c unit have more room depending how tall
you are , some of trucks now matter how much room you have
rooms tight
but with a c unit there are more choices
me i like my c unit western star only one of it's kind

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For what it will end up costing you, best to build a decent dock high C unit rather than a hopped up cube van. It's sort of a trap, but when all the variables are weighed, the versatility the C unit truck can give is just so much more, and worth the effort of operators logging. Knew fellow at C&M with both regular vans and cubes with sleepers built into the boxes, and the regular vans were more profitable.
-Weave-

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We had the same choices some years ago, and went with a "C" truck instead of trying to create the perfect cargo van. We have no regrets, as the added cargo capacity has given us access to more loads, although we are seldom at or near the 5000 lb. limit. The large sleeper has been great for our family of four (2 security dogs). In the past 6 years, we have used motels twice.

Possibly the few downsides would be some restrictions on places to park, fuel mileage in the 10-12 mpg range, and higher insurance and maintenance costs. These are offset by the fact that the truck does not sit waiting for freight like the cargo vans do.

Vernon