On the move satelite T.V.systems

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
hello everyone,i am a brand new member to this forum, andthought i would dive right in with the first of what will probably be many posts asking for info and advice. I have yet to hit the road yet, me and my wife hope to be working for fedex c.c. in the very near future.Right now we are busy getting ourselves and the truck in order and we want to start off with some creature comforts to make transition from home life to trucking a little more enjoyable.we are considering buying a satelite T.V. system from a local R.V. dealer that is designed to be used while the truck is going down the road.I would apreciate it if anyone has any information or experience with this type of equipment to let me know if it's worth the investment, thanks.(p.s. this will be used on a D unit, and we have the required space to mount it)

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a satellite TV receiver in my truck, but with the traditional dish which must be set up each time you stop. Satellite is the best--broadcast TV is terrible in truckstops with all the interference.
I did talk with one couple who have the dome which you are considering, and they loved it!.

Other creature comforts you may wish to consider are:
XM Satellite radio
Laptop computer with a map program and a GPS. You can get a pretty good laptop computer for $1,000 - $1,200. The DeLorme Street Atlas program with the Earthmate GPS can be purchased as a package at Best Buy or Curcuit City for about $150.

Good Luck as you start your expediting adventures.

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome to the business, DoggyDaddy. Don't forget the Portapotty, which can be bought at Walmart.:) ;-) :)

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hi Everybody, I'm Doggie Daddy's wife. Thanks for all the advice, both recent and on past posts that we've researched.
Big Scooter, we were ahead of you on that one, shopping last week at Camping World and if you'll pardon the morbid humor, lots of jokes in this house in the past week about the purchase of "the BIG 585".
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where ever you go, THERE YOU ARE!!!!:7 :7 :7

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello, Dieseldiva. The Big 585 has saved us so much trouble and inconvenience. My Missus wouldn't be on the road with me without it. We wish you both the best and are excited for you. Big Adventure ahead.;-) :7

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
If I was going to sit on Santas knee (provided he could hold me up) and ask for a satellite tv system for my truck I would ask for this one. It sure would beat all that coal I have gotten for the past 20 years }> .

I seen it first at the Louisville truck show in 96 and been waiting for it to come down in price. When I first seen it the cost was something like $5,800.00 I hear now it is under $4,000.00 It is the only one I know you can use while going down the road. Here is the website for it: http://www.kvh.com

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
just a few words to wild bill on this on the move sattlelite system. me and the wife(diesel diva) got the system installed about 2 1/2 weeks ago and we are loving it.we went to camper world in brunswick,ohio and they did a great job installing it for us.just to let you know the price on this system is coming down, we got the top of the line unit installed for around $2700.00.it takes a little getting used to, as on real bumpy roads it will freeze the picture. also you will lose the signal temporarally in the mountains, and around tall buildings but for the most part it does a really great job.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the info. Boy! They have went down in price! I think I will wait just a bit longer until I can pay in my usual currency, foodstamps...lol :+

I had figured on the screen freeze, lost signal..etc I am guessing the same is true with the XM radio. I figure if you are driving down the road and the Quallcomm gets a "no signal" light the other satellites will be dead in that spot too. It all has to do with line of sight to the satellite in the heavens. If you go to Manhattan around all those sky scapers it will also have that same effect.

Thanks for the info and I will continue to keep a watch on it :)

Billy