on board scales

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone using on board scales? I'm thinking about putting the Air weigh unit on my straight truck it individually measures drive and steer axles and gives you seperate gross. i'm wondering if anybody is using this or another brand how are they working for you likes dislikes costs.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Mark the center of your axle,or tandem. First moderately heavy load weigh. You'll be able to see how you compare to your previous empty weight. Than you'll be able to say loade a little heavier to the front,or more likely the back,whichever the case may be. For general expediting I would think the scales would be a waste of money.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I believe there is a 5-8%% error in these if your at a critical weight say 26k it would not be reliable

Tk

moose

Veteran Expediter
don't bother with the steer axle.
IF you have air ride suspension on the back axle, & IF you already have an AirBag drop Valve, then installing an Air Gage can be VERY EZ, and cost effective, as you will save on CaT scale tickets.
the Air weigh is Just a fancy display for a cheap air Gage.
I'd suggest stopping at ANY trailer dealership, (GreatDane,East,Utility,Benson,Wabash,) they all carry the parts, and deal with those weekly.
I use Air Gages on my flats every single time i load freight, in my case positioning the freight right is very important.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dont have air ride on my rig but if I feel it in the seat I weigh the truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
What moose is saying is put an air valve in that shows how much pressure is in the air bag. As you load heavier it will take more air pressure to make your truck level. Pit on a max load, weigh it, and check your guage. If the guage says 45 lbs, you'll know in the future that at 45 lbs to reposition the load or weigh it.
You'll see guages on many lowboys and flatbeds. The guage can be outside, mounted anywhere. Near your dolly crank, or in a toolbox.

inmotion

Seasoned Expediter
i have looked into these and the one i have decided to go with does exactly what zorry says to do. all it is is an air gage inclosed in a box with a door and a psi to weight chart on the inside of the door. it doesnt cover the steer axle but if you have a pretty stable empty weight then all you need to do is some simple math to figure out were the steer weight is at. the one i am getting is around 150 dollars and installation is easy so can do it myself. if you want the fancy one with the gauge in the dash then your looking at 300 to 400 dollars installed