on board fax machine?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
One that does pdf, only to find you need jpg? It won't matter how much time you spend in the vehicle or what image format you actually need, a scanner scans, period. They all scan the same way, which is either RAW or uncompressed TIFF files (which are structured RAW files). If it scans to a PDF file, the image (or document) is scanned internally as a RAW or TIFF image, and is then converted into whatever format you set up in the scanning software's settings.

If your scanner scans to PDF, and you find you need JPG, please don't go out and buy another scanner. The one you already have will work perfectly. Trust me.

You can use the scanning software that came with the scanner (TWAIN), or the OS's native scanning interface (in Windows, the WIA), or you can use third party software to scan with. Any scanner that will "scan to" a PDF, will also scan to a JPG or TIFF or bitmap file. Most will also scan to .pcx and .png. Even the cheapest ones now have the ability within the scanning software to scan OCR to html, rtf, txt, and searchable PDF files.

In other words, any scanner you buy will be able to natively scan and save as jpg (lossy compressed) and tiff files, both compressed and uncompressed. Some can also natively scan to PDF files, but if they can't, it's barely a blip on the problem meter.

If you have Adobe Acrobat installed, whatever scanner you have will scan to a PDF at that point, or you can use Primo PDF Converter and covert the jpg of tiff to a pdf file in a matter of seconds. Getting a scanner that scans to PDF is a non-issue, as it's a matter of post-scanning software that determines what format the image gets save with.

Pretty much everything pjjjjjjjjj is saying. I resorted to exactly what you outlined with my scanner, but whatever I am capable of there is someone else who won't do it, so they blame the hardware, and then they go through several pieces of hardware to get where thay want to be. The fact that I have to send in my paperwork in jpeg format is the same thing. The receiving end says that jpeg is the only format they can handle. Old habits die hard. And to your point--yes the scanner scans regardless of how much time someone is in a vehicle. My point is that maybe this kind of person needs to just get out on the road, and once they find what their company requires, they can find someone with said company with a proven set up. They can copy the set up without having to go through the trial and error process. I'm advocating that people don't make an investment in something they aren't familiar with yet. Really, I think the issue is that I am trying to give advise to one type of people, and you are giving advise to a different type.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty much everything pjjjjjjjjj is saying. I resorted to exactly what you outlined with my scanner, but whatever I am capable of there is someone else who won't do it, so they blame the hardware, and then they go through several pieces of hardware to get where thay want to be. The fact that I have to send in my paperwork in jpeg format is the same thing. The receiving end says that jpeg is the only format they can handle. Old habits die hard. And to your point--yes the scanner scans regardless of how much time someone is in a vehicle. My point is that maybe this kind of person needs to just get out on the road, and once they find what their company requires, they can find someone with said company with a proven set up. They can copy the set up without having to go through the trial and error process. I'm advocating that people don't make an investment in something they aren't familiar with yet. Really, I think the issue is that I am trying to give advise to one type of people, and you are giving advise to a different type.

eb

Bravo EB..that was my point...;)

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
.....The fact that I have to send in my paperwork in jpeg format is the same thing. The receiving end says that jpeg is the only format they can handle. Old habits die hard......

Oh man, that is brutal!
I figured ANY computer nowadays.. no matter how old.. should be able to effortlessly read and print and save a pdf file.
Which company are you with, do you mind saying? (Bunch of antiques working there?)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
People who require a jpg file do so not because their computers can't do PDF files, but because that's the format they used before PDF files became ubiquitous and the norm, and like he said, it's a case of old habits dying hard.

We may eventually get to the point where you can buy a scanner or whatever, and it'll be able to read your mind and know what you're thinking, but until that time comes, people will simply have to invest the time in reading the Quick Start Guide at the very least, and then take 2 or 3 minutes out of their busy day and familiarize themselves with the settings with regard to the "file save to" options to know what filetypes the native software will save files to.

A scanner is like a copier, and at it's most basic is pretty much brain-dead simple. With a copier, you lay something on the glass, close the lid, and press START, and it scans and prints (copies) whatever you laid on the glass. Additional bells and whistles can make it more complicated, but you don't have to learn them. You do, however, have to learn the basics of how to raise the lid, how to lay the paper on the glass, how to close the lid, and how to press the START button.

A scanner is the same way, except because it's not a copier and doesn't automatically scan and print, there are additional steps that must be taken in order to operate a scanner. You raise the lid, lay something on the glass, close the lid, and press or click on the SCAN button. Once scanned into memory instead of to a printout, you then have several difficult choices to make. One of them is to send the scan to a printer, which is a lot like having a copier. Another one is to save the scanned image onto your hard drive as a file. If you chose to save the file, you must tell the scanning software what kind of file you want it to save, be it a jpg, bmp, tiff or whatever other options the software supports. It will benefit you greatly if you take the time to learn which file formats the software supports. It will take some time to learn this, perhaps as many as 5 or 10 seconds, but it's time well spent as the rewards are many.

Next you must choose a location on your hard drive to save the file to. If you are unsure, let the software save it to the default location, that way you'll always know where they are. Once a suitable location has been chosen, you must then give the file a name. You can be as creative as you want on this step, but I recommend that you use a filename that will let you know what the file contains. For example, if you are scanning paperwork from 8-1-10, I would recommend using your truck number and the date in the filename (23423 8-1-10), rather than naming it "ducks on the pond", but again, it's up to you.

Computer related things are funny, in that people will usually learn what they need to know about them, and no more, in order to get done what they need to get done. But there's no getting around the fact that in order to learn what you need to know to get what you need done, you will have to actually take the time to learn it. And I know expediters are very busy and rarely sit around and have time to RTFM and stuff, but operating a scanner is like obtaining a CDL. If you want to get a CDL, you're gonna have to read the manual and lean how it all works. If you want to use a scanner without looking like a technotard, you're gonna have to read the manual and learn how it all works, or at the very least read the parts of the manual that will tell you how to get what you need to get done, done.

I'm just makin' friends all over the place, I know. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is RTFM?

RTFM is not having to say you are sorry. RTFM is a big chromatic dragon with bloodshot beady eyes and fangs the size of oars. RTFM is me screaming at you as fireballs come out of my mouth to get off your precious no-good tush, march down to the local bookstore or MAN page repository, and get the eff off my back because I'm trying very hard to get some freakin' work done. Jeez.:p

The phrase RTFM was in common use in the early 1950s by radio and radar technicians in the US Air Force. Operators frequently did not check simple faults, for example checking whether a fuse had blown or a power plug had become disconnected:eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Commandments of Technology

1. Thou shalt read the effing manual.
2. Thou shalt treat technology with care and love.
3. Thou may covet thy neighbor's technology, but thou shalt not steal it.:D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
pheewww... Since I'm just doing a quick EO catch up here, I didn't read everything. I fear it may explode my caveman sized forehead. I'm not sure witch letters of the alphabet are involved, but I scan it and they get it. I mean, I know I see it all the time, but I guess it's just one of those "need to know basis" things.