Old idea, now coming again?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When I was a kid I had a bike that had a headlight on it. It worked whenever I flipped a lever causing a small metal wheel to come in contact with the front tire, causing the wheel to turn, which turned a magnet inside a small electric generator that powered the headlight. Whenever the bike was moving I had a brightly shining headlight.

Some electric and hybrid vehicles make partial use of that technology, but usually only when the vehicle is at a steady cruise or going downhill. It's sad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was a kid I had a bike that had a headlight on it. It worked whenever I flipped a lever causing a small metal wheel to come in contact with the front tire, causing the wheel to turn, which turned a magnet inside a small electric generator that powered the headlight. Whenever the bike was moving I had a brightly shining headlight.

Some electric and hybrid vehicles make partial use of that technology, but usually only when the vehicle is at a steady cruise or going downhill. It's sad.
I remember those small generators...had 1 myself....such a simple idea....and it didn't cost a months pay check either...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I was a kid I had a bike ......

You were a kid?

grandma-turtle-8282107.jpg

Reactions: Turtle