Oklahoma Cab Card

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I called the Fern Bennet agency last thursday to inquire about my 2003 Registration and Cab Card. I was told by some one that they just found out on Wedensday that Oklahoma was not going to renew registrations for trucks leased to Fedex CC and Conway Now. The reason is that in the lease agreement ,it states that the leased truck can be used to trip lease to other companies providing the FDX Signs are covered up etc.So since FDX and Conway have the same lease agreements ,Oklahoma will not renew for these companies. The only way they will renew is if FDX and Conway put a clause in their lease ,that the truck must be used 100% exclusively for their requirements.
I called FDX contractor relations and they were unaware of this requirement and became very concerned as many trucks have used Oklahoma cab cards for years and the present card expires on March 1.
I was told that they would look into the matter but the agent said it was very doubtfull that they would change the language of the lease.So if this comes about there could be some serious back taxes imposed on all of us that used Oklahoma and now have to use their home state. I would like to know if anyone from Conway or Fedex CC has already received their new cab card from Oklahoma..

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The way that I understood the new rules to be was that an independent trucking company would now have to have some type of physical presence in Oklahoma. The owner operator who was leased on to a trucking company was still going to be able to register in Oklahoma through the various agents that do truck permitting and licensing. I guess thats what they mean by having to be 100% exclusive to a carrier,that way you could not be considered as a independent company.With the rising cost of fuel,maintenance,insurance, plus some very serious tax situations this could spell the end for a lot of us..

RED MAN

Expert Expediter
The latest info.that I have heard is that new OK. policy effective
3/1/03 requires one to establish an office in OK., hire employees,
and make other capital expenditures in order to continue to register
in the state of OK.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I too was just informed Thurs that I was not allowed to re register in Okla. I am now hustling to get my registration transfered to my home state of Calif. I also received a letter from Oklahoma Tax Commision today stating " Terms of owner/operator lease agreement do not meet Motor Vehicle Rules"
The contact is Richard Shepheard
Motor Vehicles Division
(405) 521-3036
Nice of Oklahoma to wait till last minute to inform us.
I was seriously considering changin registration this year anyway. Oklahoma plates in Calif have been a red flag lately. Been hassled a few times at scales here even though 95% of my miles are out of state

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well it!s official,I called this Richard Shepardson today and he told me that the legal department of the state of Oklahoma reviewed the lease agreement from FDX CC and Conway Now and they belive it is more of an independendent contractors agreement instead of a true lease, and they will no longer title and register vehicles that are contracted to those companies.
Contractor relations from FDX CC told me they were not going to change any of the existing language of their lease so I along with many others are scrambling to reapportion in my home state. As the previous poster said"Nice of Oklahoma to give us 2 weeks notice".
I wonder how long it will take to get the $80.00 fee back from the Fern Bennet Agency.