OK now for us GAS jockeys. Fuel additives?

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
So after seeing the thread on diesel additives are there any favorites among those of us burning unleaded gas?

Whatcha got?

--
Mike N

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>So after seeing the thread on diesel additives are there any
>favorites among those of us burning unleaded gas?
>
>Whatcha got?
>
>--
>Mike N

Mike,

I'm an old fashioned guy I guess, but I've been a believer in STP products ever since I got my first car as a teenager. I try to run a bottle thru every 10 tanks or so. There's lots of stuff out there, but I've had good luck with them.

Dreamer

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In a past life I was in the insurance business. A client was a chief engineer for Texaco. I had a car that would ping and knock under heavy load without premium fuel. He told me Texaco puts the same amount of detergent and anti-knock in all 3 grades of fuel where most companies go on a graduated scale from regular up to premium. He told me the added cost to manufacture was 0.7 cents per gallon and they felt it was worth it for better performance.

For my car, he told me to get a bottle of gray STP and put in with a full tank of Texaco premium. Then run 4 more tanks of Texaco premium. Then switch to Texaco regular. I did and never had a knock or ping after that. I think the gray bottle is just for cars that have a problem and need cleaning out. I also believe Texaco is better gasoline than any other except Chevron. At least at that time he told me they did the same thing and they were the only 2 companies giving the extra additives.

All that was in 1995-1996 so it could have changed by now. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.