Oil pan heater

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I've got a 1995 FL70 straight truck with a Cummins 8.3 engine. Soon I'll be buying a Honda EU2000i (1600 watt) generator. The truck has a block heater which draws 850 watts but I'd like to add an oil pan heater. Wolverine says I need 500 watts for my size truck but that would limit the number of watts I'd have available for heating me with a space heater. The truck holds around 24 qts of oil.

What I anticipate my m/o will be is running an oil pan heater along with a ceramic space heater all night. An hour or 2 before I'm ready to roll I'll kill the space heater and plug in the block heater.

Do you think the 250 watt light truck model oil pan heater would be enough? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 500 watt will warm oil to 150 degrees. I wonder what temp the 250 watt model could achieve on a cold winter night - like with a low of 0 degrees.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I doubt the space heater will pull anywhere near 1100 watts. I used a rather large space heater in my old volvo and it run off a 1000 watt inverter with my tv and DVD plugged in. It never went in to protect mode either.