Mechanical Oil leak help

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Hi everyone, I have a 2005 mbe 900 motor. Several months back I noticed a warm up oil leak running down the oil pan. It would pretty much stop once the truck warmed up. I narrowed it down to the o-rings behind the oil filter housing. Spent about two weeks pulling everything off and replacing the o-rings. After the fix no more oil leak. Ran for a few weeks and had the oil changed. Now I have gradually noticed the same oil leak from the same area coming back. I got to thinking and the only thing I could remember doing before the first leak started was using the lucas engine oil stop leak. Well needless to say when I had the oil changed after the fix I used it again. Is there anyway the stop leak could actually be causing a leak? Thanks in advance.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
How many miles on that motor, oil stop leak rarely works, the design behind it is to swell the rubber seals. Any things possible though. With the amount of oil in your motor I would think that the additive would be diluted and be basically useless unless it was a gallon or more. I wouldn't use it.

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know these engines well, but I am puzzled. Let us know when you solve the mystery.

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am about to hit 1 million miles. These engines like oils with no additives and check the valve lash at least every 200 000 miles.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I normally have the overhead ran every 150, 000 miles or so. They are great motors. The leak isn't a bad one I normally don't even have to add oil between changes. it's just irritating and annoying.

Reactions: Skyline

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Where do you guys get your overheads done? I want to get mine done in the near future. I have 585k on it and I don't really know how long ago it was done, if at all.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Update on the oil leak, I stopped using the lucas stop leak and went back to the regular lucas. Seems that the leak has pretty much stopped. It really baffled me but it seems that maybe the stop leak was the problem.