Oil changes

VanMan

Expert Expediter
I drive for an owner and he uses synthetic oil in his van.At one time I was a mechanic.Anyone out there who uses synthetic oil in their vans,is a 10000 mile interval too much for this type of oil,I was told I didn't know what I was talking about? The dealership told me no more than 6000 miles!! Also I have put 60000 miles on the van,since Jan 2003 and the place where he has the maintenance says the transmission fluid is ok,at what interval should the trans fluid be changed with the weight we carry in a 3500 chevy van,this seems too extreme? It's never been changed since December,But is very light pink? Thx x(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don’t quite understand what it is you are trying to say here Vanman? I run all vans, 3500 Chevy’s and I use Sync-oil. I change the oil every 10k or close to it. I have the oil analyzed every third changing, and it has always been a very good result. I also know others that ran vans in the past, (LM for one) that did the same. They got 500k plus out of their vans and were still running when they got rid of them. I put 150k on the vans a year, and change the tranny fluid, and the coolant at 100k. I also rotate the tires every oil change and get about 120k out of the tires. Pre trip inspections and preventive maintenance is a very good thing to put into practice. It could save you thousands of dollars later on down the road.

yankee0177

Expert Expediter
if you want the transmission to last change the fluids every 30,000
mi just the heat a lone will take it out!!!! and the wight dose not
help matter~!!!!! i would allso change the rear end fluids at the same time ....if you are runing a 6.5 d i would change the oil about
every 6,000 to 8,000 mi and do a oil sample to see what the oil is
like if it still good you can go more???
some my not agree with me but i been a master gm tech four 18 year
the last 6 years ive been doing the hd truck only so 6.5 and the
6.6 and 3116 or 3126 cat are the only thing i work on know
bumper to bumper so if your is S.C GREENVILLE AREA e-mail me i love side work and am cheap...plus i ownen a d unit 1996 frieghtliner
[email protected]:7 :7 :9 :9 :9

coldstart

Expert Expediter
I have been running Mobil 1 and Delvac 1 in cars, pickups and trucks since 1975. I am also very finicky about service. In my experience with synthetic you can simply go by the color of the oil in any gas engine. Synthetics almost literally do not wear out, but can get dirty. I wouldn't feel bad at all simply changing the filter every 7000 miles and running the oil up to 21000. As far as the trans and differentials go, switch them to synthetic. You should never have to change them again. Not to mention the unbelievable cold weather performance you will get out of them!