Oil change on a big truck

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
He hopped in the truck test driving it, getting everything up to temp then pulls in the shop and checks air pressure..... Air pressure should always be checked and adjusted when the tires are cold - ambient temp. Park the truck overnight, don't move it an inch, and check the pressure the next day. My truck sits outside - no indoor shop. I like to do mine at dawn. Anytime during the day on an overcast day is a good time to check them. Sunlight on one set of wheels and shade on another affects the air pressure that's why I do it at dawn. Never did see them grease anything.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't leave that can set around open like that,it's not recommended to put unfiltered fuel in the filter when priming them.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Funny how we're all quick to jump for things they did wrong haha!! long day had some time to kill... Truth be told the video is ok for what it is - just a quick rundown of things to inspect. Maybe an owner seeing it out there somewhere might not have ever thought or known to check and now they do.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Your right I did learn something & should of mentioned it! I always forget how much oil my truck takes when I change it & was thinking when I saw the vid,I need to write it under the hood like he did.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
He hopped in the truck test driving it, getting everything up to temp then pulls in the shop and checks air pressure..... Air pressure should always be checked and adjusted when the tires are cold - ambient temp. Park the truck overnight, don't move it an inch, and check the pressure the next day. My truck sits outside - no indoor shop. I like to do mine at dawn. Anytime during the day on an overcast day is a good time to check them. Sunlight on one set of wheels and shade on another affects the air pressure that's why I do it at dawn. Never did see them grease anything.

I agree,plus if this is meant to be a teaching video,he skipped one of the most important points,reinstall the drain plug!

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Simple PM there are guidelines to follow in any owners manual, or hang out at a speedco and watch, all of this can be done by anyone, there no special tools other then a filter wrench and you can buy these, battery tester if you want one, air pressure gauge, 5/8 to 3/4 socket for the drain plug, spare drain plugs are always something to add to your emergency gear, drain plug gaskets, small voltage meter or multimeter with a 12V or 24 Volt ability DC....Gasket for the filler cap, learning how to fill a replacement filter and install, how to regain prime if lost might catch a few off guard...ya you can read air pressure after youve been running and before you start for the day and see the difference and know what to set pressure at....coolant test strips could be a item to add and use to determine the longevity, Acidity of the Anti-freeze, GREASE is a major item and Ive had several tell me about Lucas Red, or a Castrol Blue EP grease although youll have to order that, Lucas Red is in every auto parts store and is fairly priced, DONT OVER GREASE THINGS and wind up with big dirt filled grease balls, wipe off the extra grease as you can, OIL for Hubs and Differentials I would use what the manufacture recommends, Lucas does make great stuff, but be sure it meets all API standards....everybody knows its cheaper to buy this stuff at home at the Farm and home then in a truck stop....washer fluid, tranny fluid, gear lube, diesel treat/ winter fuel treatments, oil, grease can all be bought at Autozone or Walmart and youll save serious money, if your the one buying it...

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your right I did learn something & should of mentioned it! I always forget how much oil my truck takes when I change it & was thinking when I saw the vid,I need to write it under the hood like he did.

Yeah, well I never see too many owners check kingpins. I check mine every time I grease them 3,500 miles. I also jack the axle up and get the wheel off the ground so the kingpins are hanging in a free state and get proper lube. They last much longer that way mine are originals with almost 1.2 million miles on them

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
"wind up with big dirt filled grease balls"

I always wondered why the shops left a large blob of grease on top of the kingpin caps, makes you wonder if they even got any in the intended location. I started doing my own chassis lubes after I got tired of telling the truck stops about the 5 or 6 zerks they missed. My last wonder of the day is, I understand the reason for jacking the frame leaving the steer axle hanging to grease kingpins, but in my M2's OEM published maintenance manual it states not to?? The main thing is to do it and do it regularly is my theory.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Volvo also says do not jack front end up to grease.
Old school thinking.
I imagine things have been redesigned to avoid the jacking up step.

Still a good idea to jack up occasionally to check king-pins and wheel bearings.

Most people do not know how to properly check wheel bearings.

J

jacobh15

The dealer tells me I can go up to 6,500 miles between oil changes as the oil is semi-synthethic. That sounds like a real stretch to me. Any real world suggestions on frequency of oil changes especially when the 1st one should be done (I'm just under 1,000 miles right now)?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Way back when I bought a new van, I did first oil change at 3000 miles. Then switched to full Syn Mobil 1. Then changed the oil at 10,000 there after. I got 700,000+ on it before it died.