OH BOY

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Chaos At The Border

The U.S. government plans to require up to 24 hours' notice of all commercial shipments into the United States by October, a move Canadian exporters say will hit both economies hard.
The advance notification plan would force truckers to submit a contents lists four hours before loading their cargo, an impossibility for just-in-time operations such as the Big Three automakers, which ship $100-million in components across the border each day.

Under proposed U.S. Customs Service regulations, air couriers would need to submit a manifest list eight hours before loading; railways would need to give 12 hours' notice; and marine shipping would be subject to a 24-hour notification deadline.

The rules would apply equally to all countries. But none has the $1.9-billion-a-day in cross-border trade that Canada does and only Canada and Mexico have to worry about truck and rail shipments, many of which are designed to arrive within a few hours of being ordered.

An estimated 30,000 trucks cross the Canada-U.S. border each day, including 7,000 that cross the Ambassador Bridge linking Detroit and Windsor, Ontario.

"Nobody in Canada feels the four-hour notification is workable," said Elly Meister, vice president of the Canadian Trucking Alliance. "We could be shut out of markets in the United States because of this."

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was wondering when Mr. Tom Ridge was going to set a policy for Canada and Mexico. The Amasdor Bridge crossing has been a night mare for Customs. The bridge is privately owned. The trucks have been crossing Hazmat without signs till they are in Canada they put the hazmat signs back on. There is still a shipment of Nuclear something, crossing the Ambassdor bridge but no record of the truck. They only found radition traces but never the truck or anyone registered with customs for the shipment.
Guess the big 3 will have to pay extra taxes on Materials sitting in inventory for the safty of all.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>I was wondering when Mr. Tom Ridge was going to set a policy
>for Canada and Mexico. The Amasdor Bridge crossing has been
>a night mare for Customs. The bridge is privately owned.
*****The fact the bridge is privately owned, by the owner of CTX by the way, means no lack of security. The Ambassador Bridge meets all regualtions put in place by both the USA and Canada.

>The trucks have been crossing Hazmat without signs till they
>are in Canada they put the hazmat signs back on.
***** If they do that, they will be interdicted by Canada Customs.

There is
>still a shipment of Nuclear something, crossing the
>Ambassdor bridge but no record of the truck.
*** This was a hoax.
They only
>found radition traces but never the truck or anyone
>registered with customs for the shipment.
**** All SORTS of perfectly legitimate things give off radiation traces. Do you register all things you haul that might give off radiation?

>Guess the big 3 will have to pay extra taxes on Materials
>sitting in inventory for the safty of all.
The BIG 3 will merely transfer more work to Mexico, both assembly and sub-assembly. What doesn't go to Mexico will be done in China.

How will this latest plan enhance the safety of the citizens of the USA? It is another bureaucratic nightmare.
If you are on the Canadian side it will take you even longer to get back into the States.
Good luck and I hope you'll have lots of patience drivers, you're gonna need it.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hubby and I are new to the industry and still trying to learn SO many things. We really enjoy our time in Canada and are concerned with any changes that will make our time there difficult. We don't want to form a premature opinion on this or anything else so I'm wondering if any of you could point us in the right direction to research this topic, perhaps something on line that would clear up any hoaxes or urban legends and lead us to the truth.
The other thing being, if we have enough Tim Horton's coffee I suppose we could wait a LITTLE longer at the border!!!!

Where ever you go, THERE YOU ARE!!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
JJ,

Where did you find that story? Rob makes a good point about sending more work to Mexico.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------

Everybody is someone else's weirdo.

-----------------------------------------

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence,

Sorry ,I didn't read my cut and paste to make sure credit was given to the original story.

I found it on the HOME page of www.trucknet.com

http://www.trucknet.com/

The story is the very first article on the top of the page. Under the heading of INDUSTRY NEWS.

Due to the tremendious impact it will have on the expediting industry, I felt it was an absolute must read for all expeditors.

JJ

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Thanks JJ for helping to keep us all informed.

Where ever you go, THERE YOU ARE!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Going to Mexico

> Rob makes a good point about
>sending more work to Mexico.

Lawrence;
In last Friday's Toronto Globe & Mail "Report on Business" there is a full colour picture of DaimlerChrysler president Dieter Zetsche. He is quoted as saying about new business at Chrysler's Windsor Ontario operations:
We would like-and I am personally would like- to end up with this project in Ontario"...but..."If we find out that we can't, then we'll look for other places, and Mexico is certainly a very good enviroment for a plant as well".

That's a pretty clear indication of their thinking.

What does this mean to expediters?
How will you like having to take loads to Mexico?
Gee, if you find Canada difficult, and many of you do, You'll really enjoy the southern border won't you?

What does this have to do with the security issue?
Anything that makes life difficult for the Big 3 will give them more incentive to shift production further south and right out of North America.

The threat is real people.

RWA

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just say no to international freight

well when more drivers start doing what i do.. and that is dont cross those bridges maybe they will think a bit.. omg I dont understand why people do it with they way things are currently. it is horrible if you have to stop at customs you are going to give away a minimium of 30 min..and probably alot more..

now this said if they ever come up with equitable compensation for crossing the bridges..I'll be right there

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>The trucks have been crossing Hazmat without signs till they
>are in Canada they put the hazmat signs back on.
***** If they do that, they will be interdicted by Canada Customs
Following info found:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/det/news/stories/news-118578720020110-210123.html
How is this happening? Sources tell the Defenders some truck drivers actually take the signs off their trucks and then sneak across the bridge, hoping not to get caught.
But the Defenders discovered the companies who own the bridge actually know and allow certain trucks to cross, even though their loads are illegal.
Company letterhead shows they're from the Detroit International Bridge Company and Canadian Tranist Company, private businesses that own the bridge. The documents are dated as far back as 1996 and as recent as two months ago.
In this letter, the bridge company gives one trucking company permission "to cross the bridge even though they (the commodities) are placarded as hazardous." This letter allow the same company to transport empty alcohol tankers, still considered flammable, a violation of the law.