Odd Truck??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I went to Canada on a run yesterday and as I was fueling up somewhere on the 401, I saw a strange straight truck. The driver stood behind me as I paid for my fuel and asked him about it.

It is a class 8 Pete 379 and had an integral sleeper and box (looked like a 24 footer), yes all one piece. He said it had a solid bulk head between the sleeper and cargo area, which is reinforced for safety and it gets better mileage than the other trucks in the fleet. It does have a 13K payload and lift gate. I wish it was light out so I could have taken pictures, but at that time of night I wanted to get home.

I forgot to ask who he worked for; I could not read the company name where I was when he left.

So has anyone seen anything out there like this?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Years ago sleepers were built into the front of the box. I had 2 trucks outfitted that way. The DOT rule was that the rear wall of the sleeper had to withstand a 6,000 pound impact.The sleepers were quite roomy that way but heat and air was not the best.
Roberts Express banned that type of sleeper after an accident when a woman was killed. Two woman were teaming and had loaded a 8,000 piece of freight on the rear and did not strap it down. The driver slid into a abutment on ice, the freight came forward,crashed into the sleeper and unfortunately killed the woman who was in the bunk.