Obama's Half-Truths

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Sen. Obama’s Acceptance Speech Filled With Half-Truths And Distortions About Sen. John McCain

obama-temple.jpg
Throughout the Democratic National Convention, liberal politicians either distorted or told half-truths about Republican Senator John McCain and puffed up Sen. Obama’s thin resume.

August 29, 2008Last night, Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) gave his acceptance speech for the presidency of the United States – a speech filled with half-truths about his own record and the record of his opponent, Senator John McCain (R-AZ). A fake ancient Greek temple was built from which he gave his acceptance speech.

Numerous fact-checking outlets have analyzed his speech and have pointed out the following distortions or half-truths:

1. Barack Obama claimed that John McCain defines the middle-class as “someone making under $5 million a year.” This is false. When asked by Pastor Rick Warren earlier this month how he would define “rich,” McCain made a joke and said “How about $5 million?” He also predicted that his joke would be distorted. He was right. McCain went on to say that wealth doesn’t equal happiness and he wants to spread wealth to more people.” (Dallas Morning News, August 29, 2008)

2. Obama claimed that McCain’s top economic advisor, former Texas Sen. Phil Graham had said that the U.S. was in a “mental recession” and had become a nation of “whiners.” He did say those remarks, but McCain repudiated these statements and Graham resigned as campaign co-chairman. He returned later in an informal advisory role. (Dallas Morning News, August 29, 2008)

3. Obama claimed that McCain has voted to support the Bush administration position 89% of the time since 2001. This isn’t true. He supported Bush as little as 77% of the time in 2005 – and congressional votes are an imperfect measure of how one views a president’s judgment. (Dallas Morning News, August 29, 2008)

4. Obama claims that he can bring Republicans and Democrats together because he has a record of reaching across the aisle to work with Republicans. NPR’s Juan Williams disputes this claim. “You think about everything from campaign finance to immigration and on, and there’s John McCain working across party lines. Senator Obama doesn’t have a record. Now, he can make the claim and he can hold himself up as pure and trying to reach a new generation of post partisan politics, but he has to do so largely based on rhetoric and wishful thinking because he doesn’t have the record.” (Fox News, May 7, 2008)

5. Barack Obama claims that he will ensure that our troops have “the equipment they need in battle.” Not true. Obama voted against providing $94.4 billion in critical funding for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

6. Obama claimed that McCain thinks America has made great progress on the economy under Bush and that families aren’t hurting. FactCheck.org said Obama has distorted McCain’s words. McCain was talking about positive economic gains during the Bush Administration, but also pointed out that our nation faces challenging times and “enormous difficulties” ahead. (FactCheck.org, 8/19/08)

7. Obama claimed that he would make America energy independent in ten years. Not true, according to the Detroit News (8/5/08). According to the paper, “The latest additions to Sen. Barack Obama’s energy plan, outlined during an appearance in Lansing Monday, may win the Democratic presidential candidate some votes from disgruntled consumers in November, but they’ll do nothing to answer the nation’s long-term needs.” In addition, Obama opposes permitting states to decide if they’ll drill off shore and has criticized expanded nuclear power production. He is also proposing a tax on oil that will only lead to higher prices the pump (Bloomberg News, 5/1/08)

8. Obama claimed that he would cut taxes for 95% of all working families and cut capital gains taxes for small businesses. Not true, according to FactCheck.org. This site notes that Obama has twice voted for the Democrat 2009 budget resolution. This resolution would have permitted the tax cuts from 2001 and 2003 to expire – effectively raising the taxes on those making $41,500 in total income. FactCheck.org points out: “Certainly Obama’s votes indicate a willingness to raise taxes, and Obama has not been shy about saying explicitly that he will raise some taxes.” (7/8/08)
Obama’s Fellow Democrats Also Lie And Distort

Breitbart.com has a lengthy list of Democrats who spoke on behalf of Obama who have distorted McCain’s record on a wide range of issues.

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell, for example, claimed that John McCain “has never believed in renewable energy, and he won’t make it a part of America’s future.” Fact: In fact, McCain's energy policy favors tax credits to encourage marketing of wind, hydro and solar power. However, since becoming a candidate for president, McCain has not shown up for eight Senate votes last year and this year to extend those tax credits, which expire at the end of this year. The last such vote was July 30. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama didn't show up for that vote, either, but he has voted for extensions of the renewable energy tax on several other occasions.” (Breitbart.com, August 27. 2008)
Additional Reading: Michelle Obama says Constitutional Amendment Protecting Marriage is a “Stain on the Constitution”; Democrat Party Admits That Abortion Is A "Core Moral Value"; Surprised? Obama’s Vice President Pick Is Radical Liberal: Senator Joe Biden; What Makes Michelle Obama Tick?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
5. Barack Obama claims that he will ensure that our troops have “the equipment they need in battle.” Not true. Obama voted against providing $94.4 billion in critical funding for the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I too would question this...94 billion for equipment?

2. Obama claimed that McCain’s top economic advisor, former Texas Sen. Phil Graham had said that the U.S. was in a “mental recession” and had become a nation of “whiners.” He did say those remarks, but McCain repudiated these statements and Graham resigned as campaign co-chairman. He returned later in an informal advisory role. (Dallas Morning News, August 29, 2008)

And the point is? Take a look around..We ARE a bunch of whiners and complainers..

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
great post!!! but like ontario stated its a me me me society!!! what can you do for me!!the days of what can i do for my country are long gone for the majority of the people, we are definatly a here and now society....guess weve had it to easy for too long now...anyways all great empires crumble....the states will also...and usually there all torn from within....just history repeating itself.....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
great post!!! but like ontario stated its a me me me society!!! what can you do for me!!the days of what can i do for my country are long gone for the majority of the people, we are definatly a here and now society....guess we've had it to easy for too long now...anyways all great empires crumble....the states will also...and usually there all torn from within....just history repeating itself.....

Yes Honda, I believe the initial building blocks of this nation have been chipped away and not leaving much of a foundation to stand the test of time...

always confused

Seasoned Expediter
if you only listen to what either canidate say about the opposition you are going to hear lots of half truths and distortions. i guess thats why so many are dis-enchanted with the whole process. there are also too many who won't take the time to listen, much less read what they say. too many who depend on some 'talking head on tv' to provide them 'their opinion'. i guess the 'sheeple' will unfortunately be the ones to do the electing because they outnumber everybody. i think right now its impossible to determine which way the herd is going -- since they have no idea.