NY tickets

Chewy

Expert Expediter
Has anyone else had a problem in NY state with the police targeting Frightliners for pinhole leak in the air line? I was. And the police said they were getting all frightliners as this was a defect. They put me out of service until it was fixed, at a cost of $120.00.
but they gave me aticket too. When I called to find out what the cost would be, the girl sid she couldn't tell me until I pleaded. So I got no $ amount. The officer who gave the ticket said it could be anywhere between $350.-$1000. depending on the judge. Was I being taken? The policeman did show me the tiny leak in my line, but I noticed that the repair man had 5-6 other lines he had replace in his truck that day. Hum......}>

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
where in NY did this take place and where is the air leak??. My truck can sit for days and i always have about 100 when i fire it back up. was this the case with your truck??:)

Chewy

Expert Expediter
I was on I 390, and they were pulling all trucks into the rest stop. And NO, my line hadn't had any bleed down. I had previously had 3 DOT checks in 2 monthes, with absolutely no violations, not even a light out, or log book error. But the officer walked stright to the right front and said you have an air leak in your line. I have kept up all of my PM's at a freightliner dealer and never a word was said about the line being too short or leaking. The officer said this was something the freighterliner should have done a recall on, but wouldn't admit was a problem. He gave me a card of a repair man, who was in there doing other trucks. Since I was empty, but on my way to a pick up, I called the guy in the stop, and he repaired the line in 10 min. I feel like I was had, but you've got to get back to work. And I still have this ticket to deal with. What are you to do? Avoid NY state?

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You said that the officer walked up to the right front. Where exactly did they find this leak? You also said all Freightliners. What truck do you have? What is the year?
Thanks, Larry

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Something you might want to consider is give OOIDA a call. If this is a possible defect that freightliner was supposed to fix and didn't, could end up a class action against freightliner. Did you call freightliner about it for there response? Maybe call NY DOT to see if they have a letter posted to all there DOT posts and get a copy.
Good luck
Randy:)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would DEFINITELY fight this one in court. Plead innocent. "Pinhole leak" or not, the only thing the truck has to do, according to the federal DOT guidelines, is meet the specification for bleed down time or have an obviously damaged air line. A pinhole leak doesn't count. Over the course of time, trucks with air brake systems develop a lot of tiny leaks, many of which you don't need to worry about. If the air system is bleeding down too fast, than you need to fix it. But a pinhole leak does not represent anything remotely dangerous. Sounds like NYS has a little ruckus going on. Hope they don't try this one on me. I'll pull out the little green book.
-Weave-