Numbers

Benny Boy

New Recruit
Researching
Good Morning,

I am still undergoing research on sprinter van jobs. Like everything else numbers is key. I know people ask the same questions over and over. At this moment are sprinter van jobs worth getting into ? I live near the largest in land port. I have see a lot of sprinter vans on the road as well as resting at parking lots.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The market has so many vans in it right now that I honestly think you would be belly up with one in about 3-6 months it ain't worth it right now it is so easy to get into this with a van so that is why there is so many but looking at getting into a straight truck or signing with a owner an drive for them

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not the best time to get into this business... beside the fact that it's slow, there are way too many vans on the road...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Payment wise? 750 loaded miles or less per wk 35%, 751-1500 40% and greater than 1500 45%
That could look like a punishment pay scale OR one of reward for working harder and being luckier...tough call

Example: You the owner tells the driver don't DH from a questionable area...which happens to be most of the country right now:p and he/she only gets 750 miles....who's fault is that?...thats a 10% penalty for staying put.
its a tough call...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always thought those sliding pay scales were kinda weird. I can kinda of understand the thought behind it but at the same time if your dispatch isn't finding work why be docked pay?

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
I understand. I empower the driver to make good decisions. I work two other jobs so can't monitor their every move.
I really really really am blunt with them to set their expectations.
My thought behind it is to provide incentive to accept pretty much every load. I don't want to pay a camper. I think 45% is pretty good on the high end however I do feel bad when they do less than 750, so I reward in other ways like a $100 4th of July bonus, etc. I've been thinking of changing the range to 35% 500 or less, 40% 501-1,250, over 1,250 45%. Thoughts?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like I said I can see some of the reasoning behind it. As you suggest they accept pretty much every load. Well often those loads can go to crappy areas where you don't get anything the rest of the week. They did what you asked and are hurt by it. If they are a camper replace them.

Reactions: ishipforexcellence

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How much in dollars. Rough estimate. New to this

He speaks in another thread of $9099 gross over 9 weeks.
I figure $404.40 per week before you pay your taxes.
Upside, decent guy with decent van.

BTW, Love your name.
In 1969 I left CHGO Monday morning and delivered LA on Wednesday. Back in Chgo Friday afternoon.
Dispatcher called me Benny Boy for 6 months.

Reactions: ishipforexcellence