Number of days on the Road

Adaire

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just curious, on average, how many days out does everybody stay out? We usually stay out about 10, come back and head out again after a day or two. I've heard of some people who stay out weeks and months at a time, and I've actually talked to a couple of expediters who are home almost every other night. Let me know what your doing out there.

Ed

I wish everbody the best of luck!!

TRUCKNMAMA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,my husband and I stay out at least 6 weeks at a time unless we are close to home(which isn't very often). We don't go out of service unless we know we have to get the truck worked on and cannot take a load. Right now we're home unautherized, but we'll bubble up. I have to call and see if they can take my truck in for work, if not I don't go out of service. Hope this helped, Good Luck.

Iris

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am a single driver,I am home about everynight. I am out about 3-4 days a month. Runs have been slow I would rather sit home than at a truckstop for 2 days.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We try to do a 7 weeks out, 1 week home; then, 6 weeks out, 2 weeks home routine. This last time, however, we stayed out for just over 3 months. Our company doesn't have a lot of freight into or out of Texas, so home time equals major deadhead, both in and out, for us.

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Frenchie

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good morning everyone!!

I am also a single driver, the company I'm leased to is very flexible, I'm home every weekend.

Take care out there!!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We used to stay out for about a month at a time.Now if we get within 400-500 miles we usually come home.No paricular pattern,a lot depends on where we are and how many trucks are already available in that area.

slowhand

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right now I'm an o/o for Eagle. Mostly local, but I do try and run as many hot-shots as possible. Business is bad. Starting to look around. would you mind helping me out? Just the usual questions. the best way to learn is to talk to the real o/o. Thanks.

slowhand

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Starting to look around. I noticed your home every nite. Would you give me more details? Thanks.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I, too, prefer to go home, keeping the shorter runs, however, staying out at least a week seems to be the preferred way. I did break my own rule this week however, running south and west of Mississipi on the same run...LOL....got suckered in by the money for that 924 mile weekend load from Columbus, Ohio, to New Orleans..paid good........but.....then reallized I had 400 mile deadhead to get in a spot where single could get a run...live and learn. I'm sitting in Jackson, Tennesee as I write this, hoping to get a run back North to be home this weekend...

Bottom line...is know what you want..stick to it.....I got bit on this one...running contrary to what I normally do!!