Number Crunching

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've been working up some numbers for when (and if) I decide to buy a D-unit, and go into expediting in the next year or so. As nearly as I can figure It will cost about $3800-4400 to operate the truck. The breakdown goes like this, and I would appreciate feed back by interested members of the forum. (1) Payment for a 1 year old used D-unit with 15% down finance about 55K at 8% @ 5years...$993 per month
(2) All insurance except workman's comp... $250 month (3) W.C. mandated here in Pa... $175 per month. (4) Fuel 10mpg, $1.55 per gal (ok that's low).. $1350/month (5) Maintenance.. $100/month (6) Repair set aside fund $500/month (too High???) (7) Set aside for all Taxes, inc Soc.Sec. $700/mo. Quallcomm $135/mo. and accounting fees $50/mo.???? Haven't included food on the road, or the occasional motel (yuk) room. TTl.$4253

I estimate approx. 2200 miles per week. with loaded paid miles of about 1500/week. How do these figures look to you?? House just paid off, wife working, retirement with bennies and pension (Sort of not a UAW type)on the horizon. Appreciate any and all feedback, as long as it is helpful. (I can take no for an answer, there are other options such as carpentry, drywall finishing, painting etc. but I think I'd rather try this first.)

Regards
DooWop

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You left out 1 important cost.Up where you live there are tolls and tolls and BIG TIME tolls. I spent last week floating between Philadelphia,Baltimore and Boston.It seems like every 10 miles another $6-7 is going into the hand of a toll booth collector.You would think that they could at least hire young well endowed friendly females for these jobs instead of old grouchy men. The NJ Tpk,PA Tpk,and the NY Thruway absolutely rape trucks and when you cross that Hudson River better have your next months mortgage payment made in advance.Otherwise your figures sound pretty good.I think you estimated too much for Social Security,don!t forget Health Insurance either.Good luck

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you self employed and don't have any employees you don't have to have WC. There is a commercial liability insurance that you can carry and that is about $500 a year.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
YOU HAVE FUEL AT 10MPG, DID YOU FIGURE YOUR IDLE TIME IN THAT? THAT WILL LOWER YOUR MPG, DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH YOU IDLE, COULD LOWER MPG A LOT, JUST A THOUGHT.