NOx Sensors 2011 Hino 258

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I finally went and bought DX2 software and a knockoff USB link. Sooner or later I knew I'd need it, I just didn't want to spend the time learning how to use it. Turns out it wasn't that bad (with a little help from my friends here).

On 2 trips longer than 15 minutes I got a fault code--P2214, downstream NOx sensor. I cleared it, but I expect it will come back. I know from reading previous threads that its best to replace both sensors especially if they're original, which at 48,000 miles they probably are (they have black zip ties on the sheathing--it's a utility body so it's pretty hard to see what's going on there without removing the side shield and passenger steps).

Here's my question: Are there any good alternative aftermarket sensors? The really cheap ones on the usual sites scare me. A small savings here could cause serious problems down the road if they just don't work right and it injects too much fuel or screws up the DEF injection. On the other hand, a company called Redline Emissions seems to have a decent one at a bit of a savings--especially if I need two of them.

Any experience or thoughts with this?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The only aftermarket or reman sensors I've ever encountered on a Hino were invariably faulty. My sample size is extremely low, though.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Multiple manufacturers are having supply issues with genuine Nox sensors. We sell aftermarket ones “dinex” to people when we can’t get OEM. In a nutshell they are junk. They cause datalink issues and fail in strange ways causing weird isssue. I would get genuine only. Just my 2 cents.