Now HERE'S a Sprinter with potential!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I'd heard of these, but this was the first one I'd seen.. this.. to ME.. would be a good way to go with a Sprinter.. I think it could be easily modified similar to the box van Aviator built.

Spec's..

from truckpaper.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW 2004 FREIGHTLINER SPRINTER C3500SHC, 5 Cylinder Diesel Mercedes 154 HP, 5 Speed MB Automatic, 158" WB, Roll up Door, White, 14' Cube Van, 9,990# GVWR, 3,100# Payload, Step Bumper, AC, Cruise, AM/FM/Cassette, Rated 20+ MPG, Stk #S7227, $32,200

--------------

14 foot box, and still under log :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is a different looking Sprinter. What kind of fuel milage does it get with the box?

tazman

Expert Expediter
I have serious reservations regarding adding a body to these units...
(my personal opinion of course)

The frame width on the trucks does not lend itself well to balancing a box unit on it.....Shifting cargo makes these units very top heavy..
Some body builders will put anything on a chassis for a price !!
Also with only 16' wheels..well I like the idea of 19" or better on long distance runners ( ISUZU uses 16" on all 12K and 14.9 GVW chassis diesels...(mainly for city delivery)

Local deliveries with cutaway units (i.e. Ford and GM) are better suited to add boxes to...

Plus the Sprinter has only a 9900# GVW.....when you add a 12' or 14' box well built...you are looking at about 2500 lbs...plu fuel etc.

These unit will equate to an E-350 cutaway...which give you at least a 12,000lb GVWR.....

Bottom line the trucks are way to light duty to accomplish anything meaningful ( in my humble opinion )..

The big body guys Morgan and Supreme have not even published body building books for them yet as well....

I do believe they will get better...but as cargo vans not cab/chassis configs....

Thanks for listening....

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":) :)