not sure need advice

vejhn

Expert Expediter
i just recently started driving for a guy and was wondering if it is normal for me to be paying for my own aig (workmans comp)ins and paying for deductable for accidents?

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I don't think it is unusual to pay for your workers comp. I do think that it is stupid in my opinion, that you should have to pay ANY deductible for insurance, if you mean accidents to the truck. My drivers, pay for half of the insurance, its not workers comp. but its like workers comp. the difference is it costs about half. Hope this helps ya out.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Vejhn.
If your an IC and your working for yourself, then you don't need workmans comp, but you need commercial liability insurance. If you have employees then you have to have workmans comp. for them. It is the responsibility of an employer to carry workmans comp insurance for his employees. A lot of companies that use ICs in place of employees will have the IC pay for his own commercial liability In. but will phrase it or call it workmans comp.

Commercial liability insurance for anyone in business is only about $400 to $500 a year. If you work for someone as an IC and they have the insurance and are making you pay more than that per year, tell him/her you will get your own.

About the deductible. If you don't own the vehicle then why would you have to pay for the insurance? You may want to be added to the policy as a precaution.