Not related to expediting, but this could happen to anyone...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It happened about two months ago, I had a delivery in Cleveland, and I was deadheading for home (MI). My wife tried to make room on our driveway for my van. Suddenly that Toyota started running like crazy, went through the fence and stopped in our neighbor's house. The car was damaged, as well as the fence and the house, and of course my wife was injured since she wasn't wearing the seat belt (wonder who'll use the seatbelt just to move the car few feet away). Now, a donut eater showed up, filled the report, and as a bonus, fined my wife for impending traffic!!! She paid the ticket, but I'm not convinced that she did the right thing and I'm still thinking to sue that donut eater. Her only fault was that she was inside of that stupid japanese car, and even if she hit the brake, it never responded to her command...
So, should I hunt down that donut eater, or leave the things as they are?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Since she paid the ticket don't think there is much you can do now. Most of the time payment of ticket is a plea of guilty.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

Deville

Not a Member
I say hunt him down. What you do after that is up to you.

I saw a 2008 Toyota Camry take off from a stuck gas pedal. It was caused by the floor mat. My friend was backing the car up & he took off in reverse. He did manage to get the car to stop. I thought he was medding around. When he got in my car I was like Dude what the hell was that. He had this look of shock & dismay on his face & that's when he told me what had happened.

He told me months later that it happened again, than he got the recall for the floor mats.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since she paid the ticket don't think there is much you can do now. Most of the time payment of ticket is a plea of guilty.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

Yes, but still... what kind of "impending traffic" on my own driveway?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He told me months later that it happened again, than he got the recall for the floor mats.

The guy from the shop told me that was the problem here also, but when I asked him to write it down, to have a proof, he refused to do so...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
She admitted guilt by paying the fine so you are pretty much out of luck. You might be able to talk to the judge or DA about changing the plea but that will cost you much more if they decide you are guilty. Traffic court is a different animal, they don't have the same oversight or procedures as other courts.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
The guy from the shop told me that was the problem here also, but when I asked him to write it down, to have a proof, he refused to do so...

Sounds like a shady shop since when you do recalls the factory has to fax them a work order before they can put the recall repair sticker under the hood and all they would have to do is copy it ... id look for the recall sticker they are suppose to be on the driver side strut mount ... i have done tons for ford and since there partner companys id think the process isnt any diffrent

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The physical damage to the car that's been repaired is separate to the possible problem causing the runaway. I am against lawyers and lawsuits in general but now and then they are justified provided they are used for recovery and not for profit.

The police and insurance reports of the incidents might provide adequate at least to participate in the class action suit. I remember news reports of the floor mats causing jamming.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
It happened about two months ago, I had a delivery in Cleveland, and I was deadheading for home (MI). My wife tried to make room on our driveway for my van. Suddenly that Toyota started running like crazy, went through the fence and stopped in our neighbor's house. The car was damaged, as well as the fence and the house, and of course my wife was injured since she wasn't wearing the seat belt (wonder who'll use the seatbelt just to move the car few feet away). Now, a donut eater showed up, filled the report, and as a bonus, fined my wife for impending traffic!!! She paid the ticket, but I'm not convinced that she did the right thing and I'm still thinking to sue that donut eater. Her only fault was that she was inside of that stupid japanese car, and even if she hit the brake, it never responded to her command...
So, should I hunt down that donut eater, or leave the things as they are?

Glad you and no one else was hurt. Hopefully, you can get some relief from Toyota. Unfortunate, the LEO did not have the ability to use some discretion.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another feather in the cap for Toyota... not that US made cars are any better but buying foreign has it's own pitfalls, whose gonna go to their headquarters when you have a complaint? At least there is a glimmer of a chance you'd be able to here in the States
Hope your wife has no lasting injuries as a result of this

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
A have a friend who is a mechanic at Toyota. The floor mats are the problem, and there is a 2 part fix from the factory:
throw out any floor mats that are in the car, and replace them with a toyota one, and also they hacksaw the gas pedal so it's shorter. that's it. That's also a recall, so it could have been done for free at the dealer. They have LOTS of recalls, I'd suggest going to the dealer for an oil change, you might get half your car back new. The mechanics are all on book-rate and so they scour the cars for recalls and just do them while they have the car on the lift, Often times they don't even tell the customer and just bill toyota.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
If she was on private property, there should not have been a citation issued. She should not have paid it without getting some advice, and not from the guy on the next bar stool. Now the money is gone and possibly some points on her license. Sometimes the fast way getting out of a problem is not the best way. As far as calling the LEO a "doughnut eater", if you did it to his or her face, I can see why the issued the citation. As for suing the LEO, it will be laughed out of court, and you will look like a fool, and give all the LEOs at the station and surrounding areas a good laugh for the day.