Non Trucking Liability In NYS

Johnscharf

Expert Expediter
Being a resident of New York I can't find an Insurance company that I can get a Non Trucking Liability policy. All Insurance companies that I talked to told me due to the fact I am from N.Y. they can't help me.
How do I get around this problem? Somebody must have a sensible solution. Others must have encountered this.
If I register the vehicle in another state then I assume I have to get a drivers licence for that state also. Then I also imagine I would have to pay sales tax on the value of the vehicle a second time.
I really could use some answers.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,
Had the same problem with NY. I moved to VA. Got Va address and drivers license. Not that I am saying move or anything...lol. But the expedite company we lease with did find us insurance. We were with our insurance company for years with no claims and our policy was cancelled without warning while we were under load! The company we lease with called us and told us our policy was cancelled because we were NY drivers and lived in NY. At the time they had 3 other couples in NY that had the same thing happen. They got a new policy for us and had us fax our signed retainer copy within minutes.

It appears that 911 hurt all NY'ers more than people realize. We still have a home there and that insurance policy has doubled. People are also paying outlandish car insurance payments.

BTW, if you do "move" to another state, many do not require that you pay and additional or new sales tax , (Va didn't). In addition, it cost $700 to register our truck there compared to NY at $1500.

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--