Non CDL Straight Truck Question?

mikefl

Active Expediter
OK Guys and gals this maybe a stupid question, But the recruiter will not answer questions straight forward she acts like she does not know the answer.

Will Panther put a straight truck on that is rated for less than 26,001?

From what I can read on here their are not many out on the road. I have found a good deal on one and was wondering before I put this money into it. From what I can see I can haul freight from 7000 lbs-9000 lbs and still be inder the mark with a sleeper and a team in the truck.

But are they paying loads out there for this?

Please do not knock me down for asking questions like this I am or will be a newbie!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't remember ever seeing one at panther. What is your reason for not wanting to go to a straight truck. Your still logging in either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

mikefl

Active Expediter
The cost of the truck really. Also everyone here are for them selves and will not help. The 3rd party testers are wanting to rip you a new one just to test.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The cost of the truck really. Also everyone here are for them selves and will not help. The 3rd party testers are wanting to rip you a new one just to test.

I have no idea what anything after cost of the truck means.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
The way I'm reading the OP is, he found a 19,000 GVWR straight truck that can carry 7000 - 9000 lbs of freight with a team driving it. Before he buys this vehicle he wants to know if there is going to be freight available for this type of unit since he can't carry 13,000 lbs. My knowledge from reading previous posts would be to describe the vehicle you want to purchase. How big is the box? Deisel or gas? auto? lift gate? List everything you can about this truck and how you want to run it and maybe someone will answer you. Where do you live? How often do you need to go home? How much money do you need to make? Include everything. Hope this helps.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The way I'm reading the OP is, he found a 19,000 GVWR straight truck that can carry 7000 - 9000 lbs of freight with a team driving it. Before he buys this vehicle he wants to know if there is going to be freight available for this type of unit since he can't carry 13,000 lbs. My knowledge from reading previous posts would be to describe the vehicle you want to purchase. How big is the box? Deisel or gas? auto? lift gate? List everything you can about this truck and how you want to run it and maybe someone will answer you. Where do you live? How often do you need to go home? How much money do you need to make? Include everything. Hope this helps.

He wants to put a team in it so where he lives or wants to get home doesn't matter. He specifically asked about panther.

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think what they are trying to find out is if they can run the the truck without getting there CDL's, which I think they have to have to for most Expedited Co.'s

The 3rd party testers are wanting to rip you a new one just to test.

nottoold1961

Active Expediter
OK Guys and gals this maybe a stupid question, But the recruiter will not answer questions straight forward she acts like she does not know the answer.

Will Panther put a straight truck on that is rated for less than 26,001?

From what I can read on here their are not many out on the road. I have found a good deal on one and was wondering before I put this money into it. From what I can see I can haul freight from 7000 lbs-9000 lbs and still be inder the mark with a sleeper and a team in the truck.

But are they paying loads out there for this?

Please do not knock me down for asking questions like this I am or will be a newbie!

By the time you put a sleeper on the truck and all the items that a team needs to run in the truck. You will be lucky to haul 4000 LBS. What does the truck weigh after every thing is what needs to known here. You still need to run logs and pass DOT physicals. and most company's require a class B, even in a van.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I would say my average loads fall into the 3 to 6 thousand pound range.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mikefl

Active Expediter
Ok the truck I have found has a diesel engine in it. It has 220 hp. It has a 72" sleeper along with a 16' box. No lift gate. Where I live is FL. No home time required due to no small children. I am starting in this to make money not being home setting around.

The truck I have found is under $25,000.00 with less than 150,000 miles on it. But what I said I do not have a problem getting my CDL just find someone with a truck because people here in FL. are A**es. The 3rd party testing want a lot just to test in their trucks. The price of the truck is why I am asking because a good used straight truck will run me no less than $50,000.00-$60,000.00 with a sleeper that will be comfy for myself and fiance. We work together now in our business out of a ford ranger so we are use to close being in a tight place.

Also I know there are not many loads here. But like I said I am not worried about that. I have a few friends on with panther but all of their trucks are out and you never see them here. They never see them.

Kristi

Active Expediter
I don't know about Panther but when my husband and I started expediting we drove a non cdl truck. We were with a very small company out of Elgin SC. They kept us extremely busy with that truck.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like your trying to run a C unit. You can drive, get your other 1/2 to go as a rider to begin with. After getting established get her a Cdl B with endorsments. I suggest getting a Hazmat endorsement and a tanker (X) as well. Running team you will need a Hazmat and sometime you will carry a tote or gas cylinders or something so your going to need a tanker. Tote's are 500 gal, 2 a 1,ooo so on and so on. You have to have a Tanker when carrying those.
Good luck. Try Bolt.

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
. But what I said I do not have a problem getting my CDL just find someone with a truck because people here in FL. are A**es. The 3rd party testing want a lot just to test in their trucks. .

never see them.

its really not that hard to get a cdl in fla. i did it 6 years ago on a bet.my brother works at a large concrete company in fla, and was telling me how hard it was to get drivers a cdl. on two many beers i bet him i could get one without any experience or help from any body. that night i got on the internet and did some research .found out the driving test could be given by a qualifed private company.went to dmv next day 9 am read books took the written test next day at 10 am. boom called brother more beers and bragging the next day took the driving test.cost 300 dollars for driving test. i passed and never had drove any kind of standard trans. called brother went his house to drink his beer he lost the bet.i used a company out of crystal river that haul lime rock ,dont rember the name but found with a search at yahoo.

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
also it was a class A cdl. 300 dolars is not that much compared to liabilty they take riding and using there truck .and your going to start a business with that license. i ve been making a good living with mine.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I started out in a NON CDL straight truck I rented from Penske, if you need a truck to get your CDL rent one from Penske or Ryder...I would say having your CDL B is a better option then using a Chauffeuerrs or C class license, I never was hassled but I do know of others who were harrassed and ticketed for not haveing the CDL and hauling commercial freight, COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE...if your driving as a team you must have a LEGAL sleeper as two guys in a day cab wont clear for team driving, My brother and me basically stayed in motels and shared the driving and did fine...Find a Penske or Ryder or Budget etc that fits your license needs for the CDL B and get it and save your self some worry...