Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Sitting in Florida. Hotter than snot. Humid. I've asked my dispatchers for a load north of the Arctic circle.

Until that comes through, I'm observing all the other Sprinters in the lot. The sun is beating down on all of us. My AC is barely noticeably cooler than the outside air. None of the expediters here has a generator out. I would've thought some would. How are they sleeping without AC?

Reactions: danthewolf00

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
BTI, I use the EcoFlow power station (Delta Pro) paired with the Wave 2 air conditioner which uses approximately 460 watts at max cool. My power station is recharged by 400 watts of solar panels on the roof of my Sprinter 2500. In a pinch, I can go to an EV charge station and top it off. It is also recharged via the 12 volt power from the van while driving at night. Never had to idle to date…hope this helps.

Reactions: Ironman

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
I’m $3,100 all in including Zamp Solar. But you can get the Zero Breeze with extra battery for almost half that. Its not as flexible with it’s charging options but it is a good system for one person….

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
My understanding is the Eco Flow also produces heat for the winter, so I'd probably go with that, and at least one extra battery. Since I'd have to charge off the van battery, I guess the power station would be unnecessary.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
For ac you NEED a generator of at least 2800 watts.
You could power a espar heater with solar and a nice battery bank but never ac
There are a couple that advertise that they can run off of an attached battery. One is called the Eco wave, forget what the other one is called. They don't cool a large area, so I'd for sure partition off the area immediately behind the seats and sleep there.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
There are a couple that advertise that they can run off of an attached battery. One is called the Eco wave, forget what the other one is called. They don't cool a large area, so I'd for sure partition off the area immediately behind the seats and sleep there.
Those are called swamp coolers they use ice to cool the air with a fan blowing over the ice.

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
Nope, those aren't swamp coolers. You don't add ice or water to these. Been watching YouTube videos on them the last couple days.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Ok depending on how well your van is insulated you might be ok up to zero degree temp.....the heater on a espar depending on btu starts at 12k I believe and is good up to -20 ......that eco wave only puts out 6100 btu of heat and 5700 btu of ac you will not stay cool in the southern states in the summer nor will you stay warm up in the very northern parts either.
Both of the Van's I owned were very well insulated and both had espar and aux ac.
You need at least 12k btu ac and heater in order to survive in the extreme weather zones we have to be out in.
Laredo, to just hit 114f and Phoenix, az is worse in the summer.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
BTI, the other is called ZeroBreeze and it’s only ok for one with direct flow to you…it works. I’m with DTW on the winter limitations of the Wave 2. (I use espar and keep a buddy heater as backup. But in triple digit summer heat, the Wave has been more than adequate (meaning don’t need to keep on max cool) with a little common sense in parking … and my vans are (TVAL) well insulated with sleeper compartment. So if surface, you would/should partition a sleeping section to maximize it’s cooling.

Reactions: Ironman

Billy The Impaler

Rookie Expediter
Researching
US Air Force
BTI, the other is called ZeroBreeze and it’s only ok for one with direct flow to you…it works. I’m with DTW on the winter limitations of the Wave 2. (I use espar and keep a buddy heater as backup. But in triple digit summer heat, the Wave has been more than adequate (meaning don’t need to keep on max cool) with a little common sense in parking … and my vans are (TVAL) well insulated with sleeper compartment. So if surface, you would/should partition a sleeping section to maximize it’s cooling.
Yes, I'm putting a blackout curtain immediately behind the seats to isolate the driver's compartment so the AC there will be more effective, and another immediately behind the east-west bed to isolate the AC and heat there.