Nikki Haley for President

ATeam

Retired Expediter
With Nikki Haley now contending for second place in the Republican Party presidential primary, it seems right to start an EO thread about her. While I believe Trump has the nomination locked up no matter how strong or weak he is in the polls (the delegates are locked-in Trump loyalists), it is interesting to see Haley's growing strength as the other Republican undercard candidates fade.

Last edited:
Reactions: skyraider and RLENT

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They don’t view her as MAGA. I don’t see it happening where most of them will vote for her.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I think this Wall Street Journal piece sums things up nicely.

Haley, a former South Carolina governor and United Nations ambassador, has made progress in consolidating the anti-Trump vote. But that won’t be enough to win the nomination, surveys suggest, if she can’t figure out how to peel off at least some Trump support.

Her effort to straddle the two factions, as she has since entering the race in February as the first major candidate to challenge Trump, is a test of whether anyone can unite a party that remains deeply divided over its central figure.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They don’t view her as MAGA. I don’t see it happening where most of them will vote for her.
She's definitely not MAGA (whatever that is). But to not vote, write in Trump, or vote for a 3rd party candidate would give the White House to the Democrats.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
She's definitely not MAGA (whatever that is). But to not vote, write in Trump, or vote for a 3rd party candidate would give the White House to the Democrats.
She sounds a lot like NY Governor Kathy Hochel.

• Haha

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and Pilgrim

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Remove Donald Trump from the list, and clarify clearly anti-ILLEGAL-immigrants and it's a pretty good start on a complete and proper list.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The chart doesn't quite look like the all-Trump-or-nothing extremists that the Democrats and the mainstream media portray. But that wouldn't fit the narrative that's been created; they've turned the Trump campaign slogan into a slur and are using it to denigrate him, his supporters, and even those who might vote for him as "radical MAGA extremists".

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Koch Network Writes Off DeSantis, Backs Haley, Commits Millions $$$

This development prompted me to look closer at the Republican Party rules for selecting a presidential nominee, and I need to correct what I said above. The nominee is selected by the delegates who attend the Republican National Convention. Those delegates are selected in a variety of ways, depending on the party rules in their states (caucuses, primaries, proportional, winner-take-all, etc.).

It is not true what I said above; that "the delegates are locked-in Trump loyalists." The delegates have not yet been selected. I believe it is true that Trump has a strong edge. At this point, the edge has two aspects. The first is Trump's popularity among Republicans who are likely to attend caucuses and/or vote in the primaries. Popularity can shift, but, at present, Trump clearly enjoys that edge.

His other edge is the state party rule changes Trump's operatives and supporters have made in various states that skew the delegate selection process in Trump's favor. The rules are likely to produce a majority of delegates who are locked-in Trump loyalists. Trump is leaving nothing to chance. If there is a way for him to skew the rules to give him an edge, he will do it, and he has done it.

While the Koch/Haley development is interesting, and while it will likely render DeSantis irrelevant, and while Haley may become a unifying rallying point for never-Trumpers and anti-Trumpers, and while other major donors will likely follow Koch's pro-Haley support, and while Haley is a plausible victor in a Haley/Biden contest, Trump still has the edge to become the Republican nominee.

That can change, but a lot of things would have have to fall into place for Trump to crash and Haley to ascend and win.

Even with this Koch/Haley development, the most likely outcome is the Republican Party is going to select a convicted felon as their nominee; and if not a convicted felon, a criminal defendant under four indictments and 91 counts.

One final point of interest: Per the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Koch is worth $60 billion. Trump is worth $3 billion.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Republicans voted unanimously Wed to proceed with impeachment inquiry against Joe Biden. This is a move in the right direction, especially after Hunter blew them off earlier in the day.

• Haha

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Republicans voted unanimously Wed to proceed with impeachment inquiry against Joe Biden. This is a move in the right direction, especially after Hunter blew them off earlier in the day.

Obviously I put this in the wrong thread. It should've gone in the one about the goings-on in the House.

• Haha