Nextel?

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone out ther use Nextel? how's the coverage ? need input! I may have to get one and would like to know the pros and cons before I sign up for a 2 year contract, going to be using the walkie talkie feature in the business.

Thanks for your help!

Be carefull out there!
SHARP327

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I had Nextel and got rid of it. It worked really well when it worked, but had a lot of dead spots. Even in Ohio, I had a lot of dropped calls etc.

For what it's worth, I went with Sprint , ... and it works pretty much everywhere I've went. Also, they're now adding the 'walkie-talkie' service to their phones.

Dreamer

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Thanks alot! I was told I'd have to start using them so now i'll need to figure out how to get around that problem without using Nextel!

Thanks again! I have verizon and I'd like to keep them.

Be carefull out there!
SHARP327

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have Nextel. Got it for the direct connect, and free incoming minutes. Lots of dead areas though. DH (Dear Husband) just got a Cingular phone because he was in a freight area with no cell coverage. He talked to the other drivers where he was and discovered Cingular covered that area. Also, with Cingular and AT&T Wireless merging, I'd imagine they have just about everywhere covered. Get a phone that can use all three systems though (analog, digital and GSM {I believe it is}), as not all areas are digital yet.

On a plus side for us, Nextel is the only company to have a cell signal where we live (in a rural area). Funny thing is, we lose signal when we go to town. :eek:

KandS2

Stay safe out there!

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I've used Nextel . The pros are no roaming and no long distamce charges and free incoming calls . Theur ramge is improving . That was a company phone when I was working for someone else . When I became an o/o I went to Cingular because of the free mobile to mobile and no roaming or long distance . The internet has the best deals but we waited over a week to get the phones . ( Actual shipping time was 2 days )We got free phones and free shipping . We got an order confirmation right away but no other info until the day the phones arrived .

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Just to give another plug for Sprint...

I've got a plan with them right now that's $45.00 for 500 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, free long distance, no roaming. They also have the new Flexible plan, where you never have overage charges.. if you go over your minutes, they just bump you up to the next higher plan for that month... then, when your use goes back down, you drop back down.

Dreamer

miko

Expert Expediter
We have been talked into Nextel because the company we work for has it. Thought the free incoming calls and walkie-talkie feature was nice, but the coverage areas suck big time. For the price, we could have gotten a much better deal elsewhere. Unfortunately we stuck with the 2-year contract now. But boy do we wait untill that is over!

Billt

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't suffer for 2 years. I have had nextel and had good and bad service, but I think you can get out of the contract if they cannot provide you service where you are . Good Luck

tughillrunner

Expert Expediter
here in hampton roads area as long as you stay in town , and keep away from back woods area they work great
going up rt 17 and cross the york river brigde they work for about
5 miles north then don't work unit you get into maryland
so

Preacher

Expert Expediter
I used to be a NEXTEL commercial sales associate in a large metropolitan area. Nextel's nationwide coverage stinks. I would not recommend it for over the road or in rural areas. It is great if you are a local delivery or service business. My primary accounts were to automobile dealers. They loved NEXTEL because of the Direct Connect feature. Each dealer would buy between 15 and 35 units. Boy, those were the good old days! At $75-100 commission per phone, I made some BIG $$$$!!. Like I said, those were the good old days. NEXTEL changed their commission structure and commercial sales people got the shaft!

Anyway, NEXTEL has a long road ahead in order to catch-up to Sprint or Cingular. At one point there was talk of eliminating cell towers and using satelite technology. That way you could be anywhere and have a great signal. That was 8 years ago and they haven't gotten there yet.

I currently use Sprint. They happen to own the 2-way technology that NEXTEL uses. Sprint is about ready to launch, or has launched, its two way radio feature, just like NEXTEL. As far as I'm concerned, Sprint is the best choice for over the road use. They use both a digital and analog signal, which is best and covers a broader area.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I have a Nextel for the direct connect and text messaging features. If it was not needed for work I would drop them like a hot rock. Awful service IMHO.

--
Mike N

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Guys,

I just drove a 3500 Chevy Van for a customer from Eastern PA to CA
Drove I-76, I-70, I-44, I-40,I-10.....PA,WV,OH,IN,IL,MO,OK,TX,NM,AZ,CA
Used my Nextel to speak to my wife all the way expect to small spots in southern MO near Joplin and just near the TX/MN border west of Amarillo.....

Not sure when you checked the coverage last but ..worked great for me...

P.S. - Sprint is having difficulty getting the 2-way radio frequencies
through the FCC.....may be awhile....

The service "rocks" in my book...

P.S. - Drove 2760 miles in 44 hours

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had Nextel for a little over five years now and at first my opinion about the coverage was not good. They have made vast improvments. There are some dead areas of the beaten path, but that can be the case with any cell phone. My company uses the walkie-talkie and I really like it. I think the Nascar deal will be a good thing for them and I expect them to keep putting up towers.