Tennesee Trash

Expert Expediter
I am proud to see a site such as this and see all the comments. I am as new as a "baby",and am trying to get into "Expediting". I drove early in my career(70's) in a Chauffer Licensed 24' straight truck around the Southeast. I had more pressing needs for being home so gave it up to begin a career elsewhere which led me into law enforcement until May of this year,(ex Probation Officer). I now want to get back to my true desire of driving all over the U.S.. I have read so many comments here I am amazed how much knowledge this "thread forum" allows. So here goes with the questions.
I need to know if 57 yrs. old is too old to begin over? Can I get insurance as an independant O/O , single operator, that is affordable? Can I expect to get better results off Truck stop load postings (as a newbie "0"experience) or not attempt such a risky move.I want to know if the "d" class FL70 , 72" sleeper,220K miles is worth $38K , better to lease or own? Would I be better off getting a "A" cdl instead of the "B" class Haz/Mat cdl I have ? I have heard about the Canadian restrictions as far as convictions (I have "0 ") but is ther some other age, experience questions ?
I realize these are like "buckshot"Questions but I need directions from the knowledgeable "walk the walk" people, not truck salesman. I know most on here are true truckers of whom I have the highest regards .
Any help would be appreciated and I take criticism as HELP and nothing else is better than the truth.
P.S. guys I use to run the Ponderosa Truck stop , Exit 33 I-75 , Charleston, Tn. when I was a cop in Cleveland , Tn. 1980's.
Thanks so much,
Tn/Trash

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Gee Tennessee (I always wanted to say that...) I appreciate your positive comments and I will try to get you started in the right direction. 57 is definitely not too old to get started in expediting - it is fairly common for "more experienced" folks to jump in later in life. You can do well in a straight truck or tractor or even a van if you find the right company. I would recommend making a lot of phone calls to the companies on this site - some companies don't require experience while other require up to 2 years.

For a true newbie I would definitely recommend signing on with a solid company vice booking your own freight using your own authority. When you use your own authority you become all the departments yourself. Finding freight is the easy part - making sure you get paid for what you did...Priceless. A solid company will have the muscle to make the deadbeats pay up when a little muscle is needed.

Keep exploring the site and participating in the forums - and all the recruiters would be happy to answer questions via the telephone as well. There is plenty of info available from these sources to get your new career off to a positive start.

Welcome to our world - X

Tennesee Trash

Expert Expediter
Gee Thanks for the quick response. I have several people over the last few weeks give some really good info , yourself included. I appreciate the fact that maybe my age isn't a big factor after all. I contacted several of the recruiters/ dispatchers and was told that the revenue I expect can be done with a good plan, w/ age no being a factor for them.
When I informed them I wished to stay out 3>4 weeks at a time they seemed more receptive to my questions. I was very honest,( only way I can be),and explained my plans and they either said they could help or I needed more experience before They could take me on, one referred me to other company. I ask about O/O type deals and found most were flexable enough to allow for a used truck (5 years old or less) to allow me to get going at a lessor amount. I feel I CAN do this and I know with hard work and determination I will succeed. I will probably start up in January,(slow month I know) but will keep all informed of my outcome and hopefully see everyone soon.
Thanks , Larry / Tennesee Trash