NewBee. How to get started.Want to use cargo van

bertman69

Expert Expediter
Hi, I am Bertman and I would like to find out about useing a cargo van to start expediting. I do not have a van, so I would be looking for a company that leases to new people. I would also like info on what I have to pay for: Ins; fuel; and so on. Also if there are any companies that will get me home every weekend. I have ten yrs. in the truck driving business( never a O/O ).Does the freight slow down like it does in the Big Truck industry ? Any info at all. PLEASE Thank You Very Much: The Bertman:D

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: NewBee. How to get started.Want to use cargo v

Welcome to EO Bertman. I don’t have much time to get into your questions tonight, cause I’ve got to go lay it down for 3AM comes and goes. If you are reading this before I can get back, the best thing to do is go back to the other pages at the top or bottom of the forums (all of them) and read other threads. Check the archives and read all the threads that you can. Most of what you will need to know and want to know will be in these forums here on EO. You will learn a great deal from all the others that are or were in the same boat you are in right now. Others will also reply to your questions and will help you out. Good Luck!!!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: NewBee. How to get started.Want to use cargo v

Hope by now you have some forum reading under your belt? I will try and do my best with some of your Q????

Hi, I am Bertman and I would like to find out about using a
cargo van to start expediting. Right about now van expediters are having a heck of a time getting loads I do not have a van, so I
would be looking for a company that leases to new people. Be careful if you lease. Watch the mileage clause. In expediting you can rack up the miles real quick. I would also like info on what I have to pay for: Ins; I pay about $1200 a year for L/C Ins. 1Mil(liability), 100Thou(cargo). fuel; fuel will depend on how much you run. It costs be about $250 a week for gas and so on. I don't pay anything for so on!!! That one is a free-be!!! Just kidding! Depending if you lease on with a company or not. If you do you will have to pay about $75 a week for a tracking device (Qualcomm), that they will rent you. The other Ins, will be what we may call bob-tail Ins. it is your vehicle (your van coverage) There may also be some other costs also if you plan to lease on with a company, depending on the company. Also if there are any companies that will get me home every weekend. Getting home every wk end may be a biggy!!! Most companies want you to stay out 3 or 4 weeks then home 2 to 4 days and back out again I have ten yrs. in the truck driving business( never a O/O ).Does the freight slow down like it does in the Big Truck industry?Yes it does Any info at all. PLEASE Thank You Very Much: The Bertman:D As for not having a van you may try driving for an O/O that is already leased to a company. This will get you some experience and it will also help you decide if you like this or not. D units - Straight Trucks, may be the better way to go. Hope this was of some help for you.