Newb question / advice about insurance.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd be ecstatic if I gross 35K a year... All I really REALLY need, bare bones, Is van, insurance, money for the first two tanks of gas and mah camping gear :) Oh and a bit for food money :)
Just don't leave us hanging. Let us know in a year if it matched your expectations. A good rule of thumb is to have 6 months expenses in the bank before trying it. I just used 2.5 months worth of mine over the changes in insurance in my home province. INSURANCE put me out for over 2 months. Smh

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
So all of this insurance stuff is moot.. the company I am 'courting' has the drivers riding on company's insurance so :) happy happy joy joy! :) Thanks for the support!

Reactions: brokcanadian

Galmm

New Recruit
Driver
hi drivers) I bought a sprinter. I want to open a company and dot, mc number. search for a cargo load. can anyone help?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
hi drivers) I bought a sprinter. I want to open a company and dot, mc number. search for a cargo load. can anyone help?
See : Newbie Section : Read .. Read again ...

Dot and MC numbers : do you own 10 vans/straight trucks required to search most load boards ... Read .. Research more

Liability insurance : do you have the PROPER amount insurance needed to bid on loads and to cover $ 1 million dollar freight coverage .... Read ... Research

If you answered NO to any of the above ... and you looking for Short-cuts in this business ..sell the Sprinter now Quickly as you will be BROKE in 6 months ...

Good luck looking for the Pot of Gold sitting at the end of the Rainbow .....

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Galmm

New Recruit
Driver
I want buy progressive insurance, but they talk me 6000$/year (car insurance 2 way+ 100 000 cargo + 1 000 000$ liability ) it's good price?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh boy, I can feel the rates going down!

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
050aabacb11a47143484e72c3b8401a9.jpg

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Reactions: Ragman and Galmm

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So all of this insurance stuff is moot.. the company I am 'courting' has the drivers riding on company's insurance so :) happy happy joy joy! :) Thanks for the support!
Hopfefully you're not signing on with Barrett Directline. Their insurance is through the roof.
Oh no no no ... Little mom and pop CPRExpress... Owner is a fair dude :)
The right circumstances and you can make good money...unless they get greedy

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching
Hopfefully you're not signing on with Barrett Directline. Their insurance is through the roof.

This is very,very true Brokcanagian... Myself, I have no major expenses in my life ... Can exist very happily on cargo van mileage... Don't have a wife , don't have minor children, won't have any "land" payments like rent or mortgage ( I do have kin who will let me use their addy for perm/business address). CPR's owner is generous to his driver 82/18 split... even with the more pessimistic figures and assumptions, one should easily gross 80-100 K a year ... that's with a 40/60 split. Yeah that's not much if you are making a payment on a new box/straight or (gasp) a Class A rig , but in a 7 year old van ?? yeah that's decent money...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

This is very,very true Brokcanagian... Myself, I have no major expenses in my life ... Can exist very happily on cargo van mileage... Don't have a wife , don't have minor children, won't have any "land" payments like rent or mortgage ( I do have kin who will let me use their addy for perm/business address). CPR's owner is generous to his driver 82/18 split... even with the more pessimistic figures and assumptions, one should easily gross 80-100 K a year ... that's with a 40/60 split. Yeah that's not much if you are making a payment on a new box/straight or (gasp) a Class A rig , but in a 7 year old van ?? yeah that's decent money...
I have a hard time grossing 80k and I drive for a very generous carrier. Now if you stay out continuously and never go home, then you might make that type of income.

Reactions: RoadTime

ADBrouse

Rookie Expediter
Researching

I have a hard time grossing 80k and I drive for a very generous carrier. Now if you stay out continuously and never go home, then you might make that type of income.
that is my plan... No need for a home other than tax purposes. Homes are expensive!