new

michfan

Expert Expediter
had a few comment back about luck that we will need it . is the business of expediting that bad ????????????????????
we are starting to read about the business . is their anythings else anyone can help with. what kind of money can a team make?
michfan

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
>
> had a few comment back about luck that we will need it .
>is the business of expediting that bad ????????????????????
> we are starting to read about the business . is their
>anythings else anyone can help with. what kind of money can
>a team make?
> michfan
>

Hi michfan,
I can only comment from a newbie point of view. Hubby and I just started expediting 2 months ago and so far we love it. Hubby drove tractor-trailer years ago and both of us had background in shipping so we were a "little" familiar with what we were getting into.
We had purchased our truck and were set to go to orientation before we discovered this web site so you can only imagine what we were thinking when we began to read some of the negative comments. Putting all that aside and determined to do this, we forged ahead. We consulted an accountant for the initial business decisions. Any of the companies you sign with will have orientation for you to attend to understand their procedures. We're signed with Fed Ex and so far we are happy with the amount of work and the pay. It can get hectic sometimes, especially when you have 4 fur babies with you, but we had the puppies before we had the truck so what are you gonna do? It's like anything else, you're going to hear negative and positive, everyone has an opinion and they certainly are entitled to it, you just gotta make up your own mind. All things considered, we've really enjoyed this site and learned alot, have come to trust the opinions of some on a lot of things, this is always the first place we go when we log on so you could say we're addicted! Don't know how much help I've been but you sure can't accuse me of being short!!!
P.S. For the money question, there's a survey here that might give you an idea of what to expect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where ever you go, THERE YOU ARE!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:7 :7

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
MichFan,

The spectrum on potential revenue can range from really bad to really good.

What kind of experience are you bringing to expediting?
Have you ever owned your own business before?
Do you know how to manage a very fluid cash flow?
Do you have at least a 3 month cash reserve for the slow months?

Try and answer these the best you can.

Thanks for participating at EO!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You must be referring to that wiseguy on the newbies forum. People who got into expediting without the proper tools and smarts tend to be that way sometimes. Just ignore them.
One thing I will recommend- If you are going to start out this year, start ASAP while it is busy. If you start two or three months from now when things slow down, you will be discouraged from the start, and it may be tough to work through that. The winter months are noticeably slower than the summer ones, but still well worth running through. Best wishes! There are TONS of people who can try to answer your questions here.
-Weave-

Frank

Expert Expediter
Now why would things slow down in the winter? Companies still need parts. Businesses(God I love to spell) still fall short of things that make them wait. I have delivered quite a few "must have now" small parts for hundreds of miles,sat and waited for it to be fixed and then run it back. Just in time is getting to be quite the buzz word I think. I just don't get it.
Frank. Owner operator 14 years. Just sold the big truck for the smaller stuff ;-)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Just the way it is Frank. usually after Christmas things just slow down.

The auto companies shut down until the new year and the majority of their cars are already made for a few months. People don't buy as much because they are paying off Christmas debt. Been that way every since I started. However I have had one or two years where Jan. was busy. But not something to be counted on. Thats why we work like squirrels this time of year hiding the way our nuts for the long hard winter. Every dollar saved now is operating capital for the long cold winter.

Billy