New to the game

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
But it doesn't mean anything if it can be cancelled for any or no reason. So whats the point of signing a peice of paper, you might as well just operate on a handshake.

It does mean something while it's in effect. You need to formally cancel a contract. Send a letter or an email will probably suffice. It simply means you do not need a specific reason to cancel it. Make sense?
No.

Well then, it doesn't really matter does it? :rolleyes: ... unless you'd like to start a non-exclusive carrier.
Courier guy from Philly needs a job ....
You can call the company Rags to Riches Express ....
Like i said, i never had a contract..... i shook the mans hand, we had a deal.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What do you guys mean by long term contracts?

I habe been with 4 major carriers and a couple small ones and none had this. Yes, the contract usually states that it is for one year and that it will renew automatically. But further down it says that the contract can be cancelled at any time for any or no reason.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I had a special one designating pay and % different than all the other drivers, including deadhead arrangements and dead run policy. It boiled down to the same thing, renewal yearly and escape clause for me or carrier immediately

It did end in the 9th year as we were underbid.

Poor souls. I was paying $1 a GALLON for natural gas in a paid for van. Sometimes I wonder what happened to them

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just figured the contract is for legal and insurance purposes.

I can imagine a company calling their cargo insurance company saying, “Yea, we need a new guy placed on the cargo insurance, his name’s Ragman... we shook his hand, so we don’t need any more information...”

Reactions: scottm4211

TheCourier

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Is a broker going to pay you even if he doesn't get paid?
Well as it turned out, I found a broker that let me bid on a job. Sure it was only one job so far. but he paid out in 2 days. I found a steady daytime Mon-Fri route. but I'm running for him this weekend and I'll keep you naysayers posted.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well as it turned out, I found a broker that let me bid on a job. Sure it was only one job so far. but he paid out in 2 days. I found a steady daytime Mon-Fri route. but I'm running for him this weekend and I'll keep you naysayers posted.
Awesome! Glad things are getting shook up a bit here. I could say how to get paid by brokers here, but then nobody would learn anything

TheCourier

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Awesome! Glad things are getting shook up a bit here. I could say how to get paid by brokers here, but then nobody would learn anything
All it takes is a little determination. People here had a whole lot to say when I was only asking for advice and expressing my opinion about not running for a big company. I got online and worked the phone until I found what I wanted. I'm not knocking what other ppl do but there's NO way that I'm running for these larger companies for .80 per mile.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree with that.

I've got a mountain of business to choose from now. Unfortunately someone lit a fire under my carrier's ass and I'm currently being bribed to give up my freedom :D

Reactions: Solar

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All it takes is a little determination. People here had a whole lot to say when I was only asking for advice and expressing my opinion about not running for a big company. I got online and worked the phone until I found what I wanted. I'm not knocking what other ppl do but there's NO way that I'm running for these larger companies for .80 per mile.
Glad to hear its working for you.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

What is the rate per mi?
Us naysayers would like to know....

Reactions: ntimevan

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You’re now with a broker, and you’ve done 1 job.

I guess you did what you set out to do, sure showed us. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

TheCourier

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
You’re now with a broker, and you’ve done 1 job.

I guess you did what you set out to do, sure showed us. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Correction. 3 jobs now. But you go ahead and keep humping for pennies.

Reactions: Solar