New to expediting

King780

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,

I am King780. I am from FL and currently live in FL. I am new to the expediting community. I have two months OTR tractor trailer experience and would interested to know about the expediting life.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Expediting to many is the top end of the trucking business. The loads are always get it there now and usually pay better per mile than normal freight. The difference is that you go out of an area and find yourself in new one. Some areas have loads and others the loads are fewer and sometimes far between. So there can be a bit of waiting for another load. This can also happen in major freight areas if there are several trucks ahead of you waiting for a load.
Most freight companies have regular customers who book loads sometimes days in advance and the companies usually have terminals indifferent cities allowing their drivers to get loads returning. Expediting is a bit different as no terminals, and rush loads are usually not pre-booked but an emergency call as the load has to go now.

The working hours are not 9-5 but realistically 24/7. You're on the road for weeks at a time rather than days. There can be quite a bit of waiting and after waiting the load pickup isn't always where you are but 50-150 miles away. Now you have to do a quiky calc for the money offered if it is worth going to do the run, you only have a number of minutes to accept of decline.

It is better to team as you can run longer which is beneficial on longer runs but your teammate has to be quite compatible as you're out there for usually over a month at a time. Solos can make money but many find it a bit harder. Smart business practices are required to be successful.

The job is challenging, can be exciting, fun and quite fulfilling. It does take time to become a successful expediter and make a living doing it. Overhead can be quite high so it is better to start with a decent cushion of a few months expenses behind you to cover until the settlements are starting to come up and you've started to learn the fine art of cost control by keeping expenses down.

What vehicle is better? Well there are good and bad to each type and while the gross numbers may look better for some there are those making it in each type.

Read the history files on this site and explore. There's a wealth of info and knowledge in the archives on this site so read, read and read some more. It is also advised to gain some otr experience before becoming an expediter just so you have some knowledge of the trucks, loading, unloading and other factors involved in the business.
Rob

King780

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Rob for your imput. I may be going to work for Fed Ex CC driving a tractor trailer providing I get approved.

KH