New Sprinter van, new authority, where do I find loads?

downtendriver17

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 High Roof 159 WB. Going into my second week as a new authority, looking to go OTR, but not having much luck with the load boards so far. Any suggestions on dispatchers, or carriers willing to work with new drivers/new authorities?

Last edited:
Reactions: STHOMPSON63

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
2021 Ram Promaster 2500 High Roof 159 WB. Going into my second week as a new authority, looking to go OTR, but not having much luck with the load boards so far. Any suggestions on dispatchers, or carriers willing to work with new drivers/new authorities?
One would think where to get loads is one of the first things to figure out before diving in head first and purchasing a van. But that is water under the bridge now.

My advise would be to sign on to one of the larger carriers and learn the business.

I'm told Bolt is a good company to learn at.

Last edited:
Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
There is a expediter load board that is owned by xpo....don't know what it is called now but that was where 90% of expedite loads are posted.

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your best bet is to go drive for someone else for at least 1 year.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
All of those are U-BOXs and can’t go in a sprinter van

HI,

I was on DAT the other day and ran across a number of U box loads

I have often wondered how hard it would be to raise the roof on an already tall roof sprinter to be able to carry U Boxes and other typically straight box truck tall loads (I think it may "only" need about another 2+ feet more to be able to do this).

Kinda like some companies raise the roof on standard cargo vans (like E350) to make them taller

Doesn't look too hard to do .... only hard to do it you want to make it look nice ....

Andrew

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You need to do it the right way or not at all. Because if your van looks like junk you will not get many loads and the police will think your unsafe.

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Andrew, at that point just buy a box truck, really just not worth it.

360ccf, if you're relying on DAT alone I feel bad for you, very rarely does an expedited load show up on DAT, there are partials sometimes that will fit, but you are very likely to run into issues, such as the shipper or receiver are wrong about DIMS and it ends up not fitting, or they don't have ramps and cannot load/unload you (ever been to the northeast?). I use DAT and Truckstop mainly when in bad areas trying to get anything for backhaul, sometimes I get lucky, but you can't run a business planning to get lucky, it's just a bonus.

To the OP, with a new MC you will get no loads at first, need to let it age 1 yeay before poeple will work with you.
You can work for someone like Millhouse or Delta as an owner operator in the meantime, learn the business while your MC is aging.
It's far from an ideal place to be in, but it's a start.

mikey3kids

New Recruit
Researching
If your only option right now is to use DAT. You need to study it, and as Wolf has said in the past study this site. Study the box truck loads in your area an set an alert on them. In my experience a three pallet box truck load (partial) listed for 500$ at 8am could stay that way all day but if you see the price raise hourly know it’ll prolly be a “van hotshot” at 4pm. Shoot them an offer for what you’ll hotshot it for before it’s posted accordingly.
Also get on the phone with these brokers. Everyday you don’t have a load call on a couple. Be punctual be polite. It’ll go a long way man. Sometimes you’re the third sprinter van calling on a dock high load so always thank them for their time..

Good luck!

Reactions: danthewolf00