New seats or NOT

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
After sitting on my rear end in the same spot for the last few years my drivers seat finnally got to the point I couldnt stand looking at it.
After looking around and seeing I was going to need to dump somewhere close to 450 bones into replacing one seat for anything worth having I decided to recover it myself with Freightline seat covers..It was just short of a nightmare getting the right covers from them and finnally stumbing across the dealer that had the covers in stock. Still need to do the arm rest covers but may use camo duck tape as Freightliner hasnt figured out to get them yet.

Using my wife as a third hand it took right around 2 hours start to finnish to do one entire seat in my living room while watching TV at the same time..Just a bit more then 150 $ into it. I know there are better seats out there that I wanted but felt the banker would want me to go this route. Turned out good and feel I should get another few years out of it as long as I keep the sharp metal objects out of my back pocket as I climb in a out of the truck. Looks and feels like new. (And No I didnt log working on the truck)

Now Im stuck looking at the other seat that is in good shape but is stained with cig smoke and cooking grease..Maybe next trip to the house its time to get the scrub brushes out and go thru the whole truck. Its amazing how new can make the old look so bad.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
We need new seats and my dilemma is the cost...an okay seat is 350 and good seats well I could literally spend a thousand per seat.

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yep ya can sink as much as ya want into them. If your cushions are in good shape under the covers ya restore em fairly cheap or at least cheaper..Not knowing what ya your driving I thinking must covers are installed somewhat the same way and it is something fairly easy to do. Even if ya send em in to be recovered its better then installing slip covers that dont stay in place over old nasty seats.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Check out these guys. Buy new seats and use your old base. This is where we got ours and love them. We bought the Excalibur.
Seating Products

Nice choice.. I think this site is where I decided to tackle this myself after looking at the prices.. I'm sure they are worth the money but just could not bring myself to spending that much right now. If I did just one seat I couldn't live with that and would have to buy the other also. :eek:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I could use a "foam job". '06 Express. Of course I think my 247# a$$ might have something to do with my occasional a$$-itis after 6-8 hours. I'd hate to fuel every 150-200 miles just to re-energize my tucuss.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You got it,,Spend it :cool:

I can't. Too many rainy days in this biz. But I think a generator and porta air would be first. Then I think a turtle top. Pay off loan balances next. Wife wants new b00bies. THEN maybe a super-comfy $6000 seat for me. See how far down the list I am?! LOL!!

- Skipper of the Irish Rover.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I can't. Too many rainy days in this biz. But I think a generator and porta air would be first. Then I think a turtle top. Pay off loan balances next. Wife wants new b00bies. THEN maybe a super-comfy $6000 seat for me. See how far down the list I am?! LOL!!

- Skipper of the Irish Rover.

LOL I do see a PRIORITY on that list..
:D

All joking aside I have a project on house maintance also (Shingles/ Roofing) I need to save up for. Thats why I went on the cheap for my seat..Money is tight this year again.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Check out these guys. Buy new seats and use your old base. This is where we got ours and love them. We bought the Excalibur.
Seating Products
Sorry to bring an old post out, but I'm researching getting a new drivers seat in a Freightliner M2. Was wondering how the excalibur seat worked out for you. Did you put it in an M2 and did you have to use any kind of adapter to get it in due to the sloped floors? If anyone else has any suggestions for new seats, I'm all ears.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wouldn't you just use the old base from your current seat for whichever new seat you want?

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know. Looking at the seats website it looks like theirs are like that. I've got a call into them but waiting for them to return the call so I can ask.

Sent from my Pixel XL using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Greg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even the Bostrom sprint ride seat I have bolted right to my existing base.

Reactions: Greg

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope the aftermarket seat market gets better for Sprinters. Bose ride come on now, I want my Sprinter to be more comfortable then the living room. :D