new owner/operator

bigslick1

Seasoned Expediter
been driving 11 yrs, tired of working for someone else. interested in becoming owner operator but not sure where to start. buy my own truck or sign up with company. is it bad time with economy, what my initial layout ie truck, ins, licensing etc

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
been driving 11 yrs, tired of working for someone else. interested in becoming owner operator but not sure where to start. buy my own truck or sign up with company. is it bad time with economy, what my initial layout ie truck, ins, licensing etc

I don't think anyone here could answer these questions as there is so many variables not known. Every state has different fees, insurance based on driving history, value of truck, etc. You will have to find that out as you know what your needs are.

As suggested by many on here (and you need to read to find out the differences), it is thought that the best way to start is to drive for someone else. But you stated you don't like that, so, you have decisions to make.

bigslick1

Seasoned Expediter
guess i was bit vague, i realize best way to go is with a company till i get the hang of it, just wondering ballpark what my initial costs might be, truck lease or purchase, ins, fees for company im basically clueless so wondering if that generally, financially is a better option than being a company driver

bigslick1

Seasoned Expediter
im hr north of philly, anyone recommend decent company to contact that would be looking for new o/o havent been otr but have done regional for 11 yrs

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
guess i was bit vague, i realize best way to go is with a company till i get the hang of it, just wondering ballpark what my initial costs might be, truck lease or purchase, ins, fees for company im basically clueless so wondering if that generally, financially is a better option than being a company driver

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I am an O/O of a straight truck. I was able to purchase truck straight out, so, I know nothing much about leasing one. It costs me $750 a year for registration, tags and IFTA sticker. My insurance is around $350 a month. Only other expense is my cell phone. This is basically all you need to start. I lease to a company and the insurance comes through them (and is deducted form my pay weekly). So no start up money there.

I myself, think being an O/O from the start was best for me. I get to more or less call my own shots. Plus I am leased to a great company (we understand where each other are coming from). And the owner was out here on the road for several years. So he knows what it is like. I like the way I am doing it.