New O/O business

htb1016

Rookie Expediter
I noticed different start up application packages containing MC #s and everything a beginner will need. I was wondering if I would need the full package that costs around $790, or would there be a couple things I do not need? I own a cargo van weighing at about 5200 lbs empty and im out of Mississippi. Also what class cdl would be good for this if any? Thanks.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You don't need MC number if you sign as owner operator with a carrier. But make sure that your van meets the carrier's requirements.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Read the Progressive insurance thread BEFORE making any major decisions.

Well, if he signs with a large carrier, they'll offer him their own insurance, like Bolt for example...

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Well, if he signs with a large carrier, they'll offer him their own insurance, like Bolt for example...

Does Ceva have thier own insurance?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you were going to be a plumber or electrician or dental assistant or paralegal or scores of other things you would take hundreds of hours of education before starting that career. If you are serious about a career in expediting you will do the same thing. That means you will read back at least 3 or 4 years here on EO in the General, Newbie and Recruiter forums. You'll read every single thread title. When you read a title that sounds like it might be instructive and apply to you and your goal of vanning you'll read every single word in every single post.

That won't take the same 800 hours it takes for paralegal but it should take you dozens of hours. That means 2-3 weeks minimum of full time work on your expediting education. Somewhere in the past few years there will most likely be a thread on authority that will explain that you can do everything in the $790 (or however much the particular provider you look at charges) package yourself, much of it for free, and spend far less money than the package costs. You'll also find tons of information on living weeks at a time in a walk in closet. The only difference is you may not be able to stand up straight in this walk in closet.

Good luck with your education and decision.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Great points LDB (Leo)!

Another way to gain very useful knowledge is to attend one of the many Expediter University workshops presented by ExpeditersOnLine.com. The next event will be in Knoxville, TN next week on Thursday, February 27, 2014 from 5pm - 9pm.

Join us at the Holiday Inn Select in Knoxville, TN on Thursday, February 27, 2014 for a full 4 hours on expedite trucking information, career information and tips. Learn how to be successful as an expedite Owner Operator and discover new products and services in the Expedite Trucking Industry.

Holiday Inn Select
9134 Executive Park Drive
Knoxville, TN 37923
Hotel: 865-693-1011
Fax: 865-694-0253

If you've never attended an EO workshop you are missing out. There is always something for everyone, including seasoned professionals. Meet others in the industry, attend great workshops, enjoy sharing ideas.