New in the expiditing business

sandraderek

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everybody. I'm ready for a career change. I'm thinking about buying my own cargo van. How do i go about starting up? I don't have experience in driving and have no CDL? Hop somebody can give me some tips

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Read every post relating to vans and expediting right here, go back at least a year.
When you are done with that you will have a four hour test on the info and then your an expeditor just kidding:D Do read back at least a year lots of valuable info here

Topcat

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with Dakota. I am not in expedite yet, but I am reading a lot of post to learn about it. I have 5 years left in the post office before I retire. I am learning as much as I can before I get out there about expediting. I also learn a lot about expediting when I went to the Expediting Expo in July, in Wilmington, OH. There was a lot of classes that I had learn about the business. I also met so many nice people who were there to answer any questions about it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's not uncommon for expediters to go postal. The other way around is pretty rare, tho.

Good luck! :)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I agree with going to the expo, well worth the trip and time. It was my first time this year and hopfully I'll be able to make it next year:)

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I saved up 2000 dollars for gas and whatevers, but I also have a buddy who had been driving and copied many of the things he does and it works, but u can go to truckstops and talk to drivers in the lot, they are usually parked on the outer fringes in cargo vans and sprinters, look for Panther, Blair, Bolt, Tryhours or look at the ads at the front of this webbsite and talk to them. The drivers at the truck stops though will tell u the truth about what its like out here, u will here the good, the bad and the ugly.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have found the stickey in the newbies section titled newbie links extremely helpfull :)

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Oh Lord give me strength to make this run.
For U.S. currency and not for fun.
Please help me not to have a flat.
No engine trouble or the likes of that.
Help me pass the scale and the I.C.C.
Or make the J.P.'s let me go free.
Keep the Sunday drivers out of my way.
And the women drivers too, I pray.
And when I sleep in this stinking cab.
Let me wake where there's ham and eggs to grab.
Make the coffee strong and the women weak.
And the waitress cute and not some freak.
Make the highways better and the gasoline cheaper.
And on my next run Lord, help me get a sleeper.
If you'll do this Lord and with a little luck.
I'll keep right on driving a darned old truck.
Amen.

bigrig5117

Seasoned Expediter
have been in trucking since 1996 drove a tractor trailer until 2007 have been expediting since 2003 i now have 2 straight trucks with large sleepers i have seen good and bad times in this industry and has been bad last 3 years and not seeing much change as of yet hoping for next quater to be profitable the first quater this year was my worst yet you can make money out here you need to stay away from companies that do all automotive and that sit back and wait for there phones to ring you need to get with a company that vigorously looks for freight and has customers calling them as well also could be wise to get your own authority so you can bid on freight as well . but most companies dont like you to pull other freight while leased to them. but what they dont know wont hurt them you just have to use your head out here becareful in what ever you do some of these larger companies will take you for a ride just becareful

knight7482

Seasoned Expediter
i'm interested in expediting. i have my calss b cdl from the school district. my only problem is that all the companies i come across want 6 mo to a year experience in otr driving. i love to drive and can stay out for weeks. is there an expedite company that will accept me with no experience. thanks michael:(

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
have been in trucking since 1996 drove a tractor trailer until 2007 have been expediting since 2003 i now have 2 straight trucks with large sleepers i have seen good and bad times in this industry and has been bad last 3 years and not seeing much change as of yet hoping for next quater to be profitable the first quater this year was my worst yet you can make money out here you need to stay away from companies that do all automotive and that sit back and wait for there phones to ring you need to get with a company that vigorously looks for freight and has customers calling them as well also could be wise to get your own authority so you can bid on freight as well . but most companies dont like you to pull other freight while leased to them. but what they dont know wont hurt them you just have to use your head out here becareful in what ever you do some of these larger companies will take you for a ride just becareful
Wait, I have to sit for a minute and digest all that. How many sentences was that? That's a bit tough to read.

bruce47

Seasoned Expediter
If you are just getting started in the business, I would suggest either buy a good used van from someone who is already on with a company and the company will allow the van to stay on, as long as the new person meets the qualifications of that company. The other alternative is to drive for an O/O who has vans on with a company. Once you establish yourself with that company, then buy your own. Be careful of the owners you sign on with. Some don't pay on time.