New GMC 2500 Van

clicker7

Expert Expediter
Hi All:

I have been enjoying the Website, and appreciate all of the helpful information. I need some help setting up a new Van:

I am just getting ready to purchase a new Chevy or GMC 2500 Cargo Van.
I have a couple of basic set-up questions that I would appreciate help with.

I will be hauling an occasional pallet(800-1200lb.), but mostly varied cargo/boxes, 20-200lb. The Operations Mgr. says my loads should generally not exceed 1200-1400lb., and most times probably will be much less.

Questions:
1: Will the new GMC 4.8L V8 (285hp/290 ft#) be enough, or should I get the 6.0/V8? Fuel economy is always an issue, but I want to feel confident with a 1200+lb. load. Both engines felt great when I test drove the 2500/Van unloaded.

2: What's the best way to go with Partition/bulkhead,Van/wall-liners, E-track and straps. Dealer says GMC will pay 90% of the cost for after market packages.

Thanks in advance -- any help is appreciated!

Joe/Seattle

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the site.

If I were you for the little extra I would go with a 3500 cargo van, 5.4liter motor, and the reason is the beefier van will haul way more and your maintenance cost will be far less in the long run.

If you would do that the extra pallet wouldn't be a problem. One other thing I would look into is: If you could get away with a window van I would buy it because it all ready has a wall covering on it, and your plates will be far less each year to the state. If you can't the dealer where you buy the van can offer you a wall package through a company called http://www.adriansteel.com/pdf/cat1p20.pdf

Hope this helps?

clicker7

Expert Expediter
Thanks Teacel:

That is a nice liner package. I will check into it. It looks like the same package, they are offering. The dealer says that GMC will pay for 90% of the cost of liner package.

I didn't want to get the 3500 because of the extra length (usually found in extended body only). It will not fit where it has to be parked over night (and I didn't really need it for the company). Also the dealer said that all the 3500s he could locate were extended bodies. I test drove the extended, and it felt good to me also, not much a little stiffer suspension than the 2500.

If I could find one with the regular lenght body I would take it-- it would be like a little tank on the shorter wheel base.

Why do you think it would be cheaper to maintain?

Also, what about the 4.8L/V8 vs the 6.0L/V8... for 1200# loads, will it make a big difference, will it outlast the 4.8L... I figure if all goes well to trade in every 3 years.

I drove straight trucks 24' or so, and 1/2 chevy vans years ago for 10years..carrying lighter loads for a meat distributor in NY area, so expediting is new for me.

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I really appreciate the input...

Thanks again
Joe

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Most of the 3500 vans I have seen at my local dealers are the standard wheelbase (read that as same as the 2500) and will fit in exactly the same space.

As for lower costs for the 3500 Vs. the 2500 it is a heavier van designed for heavier loads therefore it will last longer and require less frequent repairs like brakes, wheel bearings, suspension parts etc. Not to mention the price difference is not all that much more for the 3500 new. I am going to buy an new van in Jan or Feb and it will be a 3500. (mine *will* be the looooong wheelbase model as I want the extra space) I won't even consider a 2500. As pointed out if you do get offered a 2 pallet job you will be ready to go.

As for the engine choices I will always choose a van with power. You will be disapointed with the puny 4.8 motor. It will not last as long or give good milage when loaded compared to the bigger horse. I am running an Astro with the 4.3 and it is a slow no power pig and my cargo is about 700-1000 pounds.

I hope this helps you some.

--
Mike N

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
twmaster answered it for me. Thanks tw.! I would have to agree with him 100%. I also see a lot of regular size 3500 vans in the car dealers.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Joe,

Welcome....

I sell these vehicles (along with other brands)...and I thought I'd share some insight....

If I understood you correctly you are looking at a short WB unit ??

The 4.8 motor is a really good product for GM and fits the van well...
Especially..if your running over the road...

I jumped on GMDEALERWORLD (the dealers website) to check on what 2500's are available with a 5.3 motor and was suprised to find "0" units in a 500 miles radius... That engine would be my choice for all around usage on a 2500 unit...I also like them on the AWD models..

What GVWR are you looking at 7300 or 8600 ???

Thinking that if you find a higher GVWR unit with a 4.8 it would be
set up with HD everything as well...and with the loads you are looking at may be the way to go...

On your upfit package (it's called Business Choice) ...you will get a free basic commercial package from GM ....it has the partition and the rubber floor...and usually racks and bins...however there is another packages that may offer a liner....this may have an upcharge and may be what your dealer is suggesting. This program has been greatly enhanced since last year and has a lot of choice built into it.

If you want to send me am e-mail I will bew happy to look up the invoice on the unit you are considering...and let you know if your price is good... I'll need the VIN and the zip of your delivery location....happy to help ...

Good Luck

Tazman :)

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Tazman, please explain a bit more about these 'business choice' plans. I am going to buy a new van in Jan or Feb and will be interested in something like the interior liners. My Astro has the Adrian upfit partition and rubber floor (it had bins, you can guess where they are now! :p ) Anyway, the Adrian setup is fairly nicely done and fits well so I would like to know more. (or perhaps you'll want to bid on my van purchase??)

--Mike N

clicker7

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for your input:

We have not been able to find an Express within 500 miles with a 5.3 or 6.0, but we did find a GMC Savana 2500 with a 6.0L. I would guess the 6.0 has the higher GVW, and will check this out with the fleet sales guy I am working with.

Also the pro-package they are showing me has a partition, HD floor covering, and fibre form wall covering... I think it may be Adrian, and can confirm this in a day or two.

Again, in test driving I the 2500 handled great with both 4.8, and 6.0. Both had good torque, plenty of pickup; Although the vehicle was unloaded, and I dont't know what the 4.8 will do with 1200 #.

Anyone out there working with the 4.8/V8?? Can I live with the 4.8L with 1200+# loads, although it sounds like most times I will be 200-800 or so. From your comments, I am feeling I should try to find at least a 5.3L.

Thanks again everyone for your input....Very Helpful!!

Any more comments are very much appreciated!

Joe

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I still think you will be unhappy in the long run with the smaller motor. Remember, the smaller motor has to work *harder* which will shorten it's life and use more fuel. The vans you drove *will* drive well empty. Load them up and you *will* see a difference.

Sorry to keep pounding on this issue but I have 'been there, done that' in another lifetime. Of course the old saying "You can pay me now, or pay me later." really rings true.

--
Mike N

clicker7

Expert Expediter
Thanks everyone for your input.... I will take your advice and try to find at least a 5.3L, if not a 6.0L... I do appreciate the input!

I will keep you posted.

Joe

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Mike,

I see you hail from a few miles down the road from me....

The Business Choice plan offers commercial customers a variety of upfit...cash back....Nextel...tools and and other items when they purchase or lease a new GM truck.....

Ford has a similar program...it's calls Commercial Connection (I sell Fords...too)...

You have to have proof that you are a bona-fide business (workmans comp...busines license...etc.)....

If a truck has an upfit already done from the factory (Ford does this a lot)...GM not so much...then the rebate is the upfit....

If you opt to do the job yourself...and your truck if not upfit...GM gives you the cashback ...in the form of a rebate...at delivery
$900.00......

Adrian has a variey of upfits for industry specific applications...that you can have added...and then you pay the difference...(i.e. a plumbers package....an electricians package)
They are higher in price than the basic package...and you pay the difference......

There is also NEXTEL..program...that offer some unique features...

Ask you GM sales rep...to give you the catalog when you stop by to check out your truck.....

Good Luck....

Tazman;)

P.S. - I will be happy you quote you on a product...send me an e-mail....

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

I have a 2004 Chev Express one-ton extended with over 21,000 miles in 2.5 months. My mpg is 14.6 - 15.6, depending on load and driving conditions. I need the extra room, in case I get two pallets, or just alot of loose cargo. As far as the extended wheelbase goes, it definetly rides better than a Ford or Dodge extended, because they don't extend the wheelbase, just the aft end of the cargo box. This way, you can carry a heavy load, and still have the weight either over the rear axle, or in front of it, safely. The 6.0 has plenty of power under my heaviest loads. I also opted for the 3.73 axle ratio, with positraction. This ratio allows the engine to work better with heavier loads, and my gas mileage isn't so bad, either. And, the positraction has saved my bacon several times in heavy rain, and in ice/snow conditions. My only complaint is that I can't get it in most car washes, and the white color looks dirty most of the time.

clicker7

Expert Expediter
Thanks Tinman:
Your input about the 6.0L is greatly appreciated; as well as all others who touted the 6.0.

I found a Express 2500 (std. wheelbase) with the 6.0L and the 3.73 rear (gvw 8600#). I am about to close the deal with Chevy tomorrow.

I am pleased to hear your mileage is so good... I was expecting about 12-13mpg with this rig. Been chasing down commercial insurance for it all day!

Tinman did you put in a partition and liner??

Thanks again everyone, I am getting the 6.0 because of all your good advice! Anything else I should be aware please let me know!

sincerely

Joe/ Seattle

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Other than the suggestion of the bigger motor the Chevy/GMC vans are good beasts and will serve you long and well. Best of luck Clicker7. Keep us updated on your purchase and insurance (yes I am watching the other thread too :))

--
Mike N

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN

My partition design is in my head, so far. I have seen several great adaptions for the 24" behind the driver's seat in other expediter vans, and I'm finalizing my design now. Same with the insulation. I did not go with the dealer on the insulation kit. I installed my own e-track and flooring - no problems there.