New Expediter

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was wondering if it would be better to be an owner operator or just a driver. Now I’m obligated to run where the loads are and get back to hometown periodically. The current owner is extremely new to expediting and doesn’t know much. She is hooked up with a carrier for my van and her 2nd van she is finding the loads for that driver. If I had my own van, I could have a bit more flexible schedule without worrying about expectations of an owner. Thoughts.
If I were paying for everything I would not have taken the deal he offered me because that would add expenses and take me off of my downsize plan. I like expediting but it is not the only reason I agreed to buying it. I have personal plans for the van that factored in to the agreement. Based off business ideas I realize I dont want to own equipment. But that is just me. Just being the driver is less headaches for sure and going owner operator would have to be up to you and what you want to accomplish.

danvictoria

New Recruit
Driver
It’s been about a month since I started and since my last post. I am still expediting but now me and Champ are currently in a Sprinter Van! I really like how it works. Basically in and out; and I do not have to worry about HOS, DOT, or weigh stations. Really freeing. Champ is adjusted to the sprinter van and when not carrying a load to drop off he has more space to stretch out and lay down or even run back and forth which is hilarious to watch. Oh, and I can go to Walmart and other stores without worrying about anyone giving me the boot for being in a truck!!!
Did the company supply the van or you buy it yourself

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE: Been awhile, still at company and with fleet owner who is selling me the van. I am aiming for within the next 6 months to pay it off. Worked all throughout the shutdown and me and pup are still enjoying the ride! I am thinking of opportunities for after I pay off van. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: Ragman and Turtle

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
UPDATE: Been awhile, still at company and with fleet owner who is selling me the van. I am aiming for within the next 6 months to pay it off. Worked all throughout the shutdown and me and pup are still enjoying the ride! I am thinking of opportunities for after I pay off van. Decisions, decisions.
Make sure you get all the maintenance records on the van or you could be buying his lemon.

NewTrucker48

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE: Hey everyone. In the final stretch of paying off van. I could have paid off van a few months ago, but decided to allow the payments to continue to come out. 12 more weeks (starting first week of March, earned enough to close out February) and it'll be paid off from payments alone. I've been going back and forth on if I wanted to just pay it off but I can wait. Knowing the money is there in case anything funky occurs is a good feeling. Will definitely take it to the shop to get everything checked and or replaced if needed before final payment and it's officially mine.

I make sure to have months of expenses set aside so once the van is paid off and my percentage jumps not sure what I'll do with the extra funds. Probably save for another van to run as well. Baby steps though.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
C
UPDATE: Hey everyone. In the final stretch of paying off van. I could have paid off van a few months ago, but decided to allow the payments to continue to come out. 12 more weeks (starting first week of March, earned enough to close out February) and it'll be paid off from payments alone. I've been going back and forth on if I wanted to just pay it off but I can wait. Knowing the money is there in case anything funky occurs is a good feeling. Will definitely take it to the shop to get everything checked and or replaced if needed before final payment and it's officially mine.

I make sure to have months of expenses set aside so once the van is paid off and my percentage jumps not sure what I'll do with the extra funds. Probably save for another van to run as well. Baby steps though.
Congratulations to you! Looks like you are doing it right, slow and steady. Way too many try to get too big way too fast, and find themselves in financial trouble prematurely.

jdavis1987

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Oh

I’m succeeding, in a sprinter van. So eh. Don’t be upset that someone from a different stance is just as blunt. And my fun hasn’t been ruined I just won’t offer more details of my productive weeks. I’m not strapped by obscene bills and can work how I want to work. Just because someone got upset that I am doing it in a sprinter van won’t change that.
How are you doing this in a sprinter van boss? I’m a newbie and I’ve just purchased a Ford F250 transit van and was wondering what some good advice for someone like me would be to join a company and how to proceed in this industry to make decent money?