New driver looking for advice

jdavis1987

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi I am a new driver and I have just purchased a 2020 Ford Transit 250, medium roof. I just don’t know much about this industry or what I’ve gotten myself into honestly, but I would really appreciate any information/input/advice on what companies that are not structured to where I have to sleep in my van…and also I don’t want to drive (I.e. from Georgia to California if at all possible?) So any advice on what companies are doing this and also pay decent would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi I am a new driver and I have just purchased a 2020 Ford Transit 250, medium roof. I just don’t know much about this industry or what I’ve gotten myself into honestly, but I would really appreciate any information/input/advice on what companies that are not structured to where I have to sleep in my van…and also I don’t want to drive (I.e. from Georgia to California if at all possible?) So any advice on what companies are doing this and also pay decent would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!
Well, I'm going to be blunt. Not to pick on you but to hopefully help the next guy not make a HUGE mistake. Not that you legally could, but would you presume to be a plumber or electrician or lawyer or dentist without the proper education and training to do so? Then why would you commit the money to buy a van not knowing anything about this industry?

Anyone, repeat anyone, meaning anyone and everyone considering going into expediting needs to get the proper education first. Expediting is a CAREER. You don't just get keys, hold steering wheel, done. So to ANYONE thinking about expediting, you need to attend the university and graduate BEFORE you buy a vehicle and start.

You're in luck. The university is right here on Expediters Online. You need to read back 5 years in the General, Newbies and Recruiters sections. That means read EVERY SINGLE THREAD TITLE going back 5 years. When you see one that sounds the least bit applicable to you learning something to do this job then you read every single word in that thread. No exceptions. And yes, you'll also read a bunch of junk people toss in here and there. Can't be helped. You have to get all the meat from every thread.

It's going to take WEEKS to read and study those 5 years. But ask how long people study to be an electrician or paralegal. Once you've completed your studies you will then know enough to know a lot of what you don't know and need to learn still. And you'll be ready to decide what vehicle is the right one for you. And you'll know if you are ready to sleep in your van because it's the only way you can possibly make a profit.

So, to recap, go to EO university and seriously study 5 years worth of information. IF you make it through all 5 years of General, Newbie and Recruiter sections, all 3 of them, then you have achieved the first goal toward becoming an expediter. And there's a good chance you'll be around in a decade pursuing this great career and helping others pursue it. Anything less than that and looking into pizza cooking or lawn maintenance is probably a better idea.

Again, not intended to be mean to you, just to be blunt enough so people hopefully realize this is not just a get keys and go enterprise.

mikey3kids

New Recruit
Researching
Thank you for this. I just bought a sprinter an started an S-corp three weeks ago with out extensive research. And I’m finding out the hard way. I knew before reading this it was going to take a lot of grit to make it the first year. Really like your electrician reference because I hold a journeyman license and know what it took to get that.

I guess from Newbie to Newbie the only the advice I have for someone who already jumped in with a sprinter van is…

Work Harder No One Cares. No one is going to give you loads or look for you. Pay for all the load board subscriptions. And make calls everyday to every load posted 10’x50”x60” an under 3500 lbs. and pray for a RC then do your job the best you can

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

JosephWantsToDrive

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Well, I'm going to be blunt. Not to pick on you but to hopefully help the next guy not make a HUGE mistake. Not that you legally could, but would you presume to be a plumber or electrician or lawyer or dentist without the proper education and training to do so? Then why would you commit the money to buy a van not knowing anything about this industry?

Anyone, repeat anyone, meaning anyone and everyone considering going into expediting needs to get the proper education first. Expediting is a CAREER. You don't just get keys, hold steering wheel, done. So to ANYONE thinking about expediting, you need to attend the university and graduate BEFORE you buy a vehicle and start.

You're in luck. The university is right here on Expediters Online. You need to read back 5 years in the General, Newbies and Recruiters sections. That means read EVERY SINGLE THREAD TITLE going back 5 years. When you see one that sounds the least bit applicable to you learning something to do this job then you read every single word in that thread. No exceptions. And yes, you'll also read a bunch of junk people toss in here and there. Can't be helped. You have to get all the meat from every thread.

It's going to take WEEKS to read and study those 5 years. But ask how long people study to be an electrician or paralegal. Once you've completed your studies you will then know enough to know a lot of what you don't know and need to learn still. And you'll be ready to decide what vehicle is the right one for you. And you'll know if you are ready to sleep in your van because it's the only way you can possibly make a profit.

So, to recap, go to EO university and seriously study 5 years worth of information. IF you make it through all 5 years of General, Newbie and Recruiter sections, all 3 of them, then you have achieved the first goal toward becoming an expediter. And there's a good chance you'll be around in a decade pursuing this great career and helping others pursue it. Anything less than that and looking into pizza cooking or lawn maintenance is probably a better idea.

Again, not intended to be mean to you, just to be blunt enough so people hopefully realize this is not just a get keys and go enterprise.
Doing this EXACT thing right now. Started a few days ago. Very good advice and honestly that is how I approach everything in life. This mentality is so important for so many things. Thanks for reminding me.......

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Doing this EXACT thing right now. Started a few days ago. Very good advice and honestly that is how I approach everything in life. This mentality is so important for so many things. Thanks for reminding me.......
Glad you found it helpful. Good luck in your career.