New "Dream Team" Never want to go home!!!!!!!!!!!!

sylvester

Expert Expediter
For over a year we (husband, wife) have watched this profession. All kid's are now adult's and have moved away. We no longer have a reason for "staying put". We have just turned 50 and can't wait to get out there. Just sold our own business (successful) after being in it for over 14 years, so we have experience with success as a O/O in some way, IE: money management, tax filing, etc. We are in the process of selling our house. We have plenty of cash flow and will be purchasing a brand new 24ft straight truck. It will have a Reefer and Lift Gate with a single Axle, or do you think a Tag would be a benefit? Sorry for the long story but this is important to us as this truck will not be cheap.
We will want to stay on the road for 3-4 month's at a time. We do not plan on turning any reasonable loads down. In other words, we plan on the truck being our home.
Question. What company would you recommend for this new "Dream Team"
Thank you in advance. Everyone seem's to be very helpful and friendly in this business.:)

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
RE: New "Dream Team" Never want to go home!!!!!!!!

Sylvester - I'd like to welcome you to the world of expediting. Successful business owners are generally equally successful in expediting since in essence each truck is operated as a small business. There are far too many things that need to be covered to really address on this forum. First and most importantly, go out and find expediters in the truck stops and talk to them about the company that they drive for. Drivers will shoot straight with you. Then...call a number of different companies - including the ones that advertise on this site. Contrast and compare the information that you get from each company until you start to get a feel for which comapanies or company you feel most comfortable with. The company you choose is one of the most important factors in your personal success or failure as an expediter. Do your homework and gather as much info as you can. All the recruiters represented on this site would be happy to talk with you and answer any questions you may have. I wish you the best - X

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Hi Sylvester-

Welcome to our world! Yes, pusher axle. Reefer? FedEXCC for you guys-
Good luck-we did the same thing...sold business etc and we don't regret it one bit!

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter

Observation and participation.
"Watching" can be very informative, however participation is a proven education. Your prior success in another industry shows you have the intelligence, fortitude and desire to succeed in this or any other industry. However I offer a word of caution. You are avout to make major changes in your lifestyle. Have you as husband and wife:
1. driven together over long periods of time?
2. have experience in expediting?
3. considered that you will be moving into
approximately 36 square feet of "living space"?
4. had long term experience in using public
toilets and showering in truck stops?
5. spent every minute of every day together?

These are only a few of the negatives.
You are considering selling a house that you obviously worked hard to attain. I hope that you own it free and clear. You are also considering purchasing a truck that will cost a minimum of $80K and probably quite a bit more. Knowing what you now know about the business that you recently sold, would you advise someone without experience to risk all they had worked to achieve their entire lives to take the same risks you are about to take? I didn't think so! So here are some suggestions...
1. hold onto your house... real estate values continue to climb while the truck you are about to buy will begin to depreciate as soon as you start it the first time.
2. find an owner who is looking for team drivers... you can find them easily (try each and every company in expediting... H/W teams are highly sought after) get all the experiences mentioned above on someone elses dime....
3. make money in the industry before you invest in the industry. most of us who make our livings in expedited enjoy what we are doing, but that does not necessarily mean that you will... and before you risk your rewards of success in another industry be certain that you will be happy in expediting

I recently hired a couple, both having experience as expediters but not together. They lasted three weeks. It appears they got along ok while living together but they had not spent every minute of every day together and had difficulity getting along with each other.
I have a friend whose father left him a successful manufacturing company. After working it an additional 20 + years, he decided to take his products into the retail sector. His fathers business, now his is in seriously financial trouble. Maybe he should have stayed solely manufacturing.

Go the additional step beyond "observing" and get the experience you need to make an intelligent decision about changing your carreers, your lifestyle and the direction your retirement income.

hope this helps

Tom Robertson

sylvester

Expert Expediter
RE: New

Tom, what a great reply, thank you.
When I posted this I didn't want it to turn into a "story of our lives" and bore everyone. However, you have touched on many good observations that we have been doing. So, here is "The rest of the story"
The wife and I ran team as owner operators for three years, pulling 53'dry vans.(Cross Country) So all the suggestions towards living together, truck stop showers, etc. have been addressed. We sold our Semi and opened a store in one of our local Malls. This also was a 7 day a week job, as we were still basically, "Owner Operator's. Two years ago we looked at each other and agreed we still have driving in our blood. However, any of you who have any over the road 18 wheel experience, know those drivers, as the late Rodney Dangerfield would say "Got No Respect". Enter the World of Expediteing. Last year we went to your Big Show in Mich. Very impressed, talked to several drivers and company's. Wanted to go back this year but the demands of the store kept us from going. Wife and I have been as one for over 20 years now (yes even sharing the truck stop showers) and would not know what to do if we had a day apart from each other.
Maybe we are a rare breed, but we are so looking forward to spending month's together on the road again. As stated in the original post, all the children are gone and a house to us is just work keeping it up. I was serious when I said the truck will be our home. Our last truck cost $100,000 and with all the whistles and bells we plan on adding to the straight truck, I'm sure were looking at another $100,000 purchase. We are asking for advice as to which company would best serve our needs, as we do not want to get into the old "it looks greener on the other side" syndrome. We observed this forum for a long time before attempting to ask advice. Looked as if everyone, like yourself, were giving honest advice. So let the suggestions begin, for this new DREAM TEAM.
Sincerely,
Sylvester & Tweety Bird

DocRushing

Expert Expediter

Tomcat and Birdie:
The two of you have much in common with my wife and me -- even in our CB handles (Garfield and Miss Kitty).
We're former long-time owner-operators of 18-wheel rigs -- with a Volvo 770 tractor pulling electronics, other high-value products, and climate-control stuff.
We also did expediting for Roberts Express during 1995-98.
We've tried to retire, but the retirement has not taken.
We're in the process of returning to trucking -- and back to expediting -- on a D truck this time -- one with a large sleeper with enough creature comforts to make our lives tolerable and fun.
She and I regard each other as not only business partners (in the finest and highest sense of the term) but also best friends and best buddies.
We'll gladly share our thoughts with you about trucks, sleepers, carriers, and whatever else you wish.
If you're interested, please contact us at DocRushing "at" hotmail.com.
(The server seems to garble my e-mail address if I use the @ symbol.)
I'll gladly send you our phone number.
Best wishes,
Doc.

sylvester

Expert Expediter

Sounds great. If you ever hauled the dirty word "grocery" I'm sure we can share a few horror stories.
Here is one of my concerns with a straight truck. With a 24ft box and all these light loads I hear about, what the heck am I in for going down the Grapevine on a windy winter night?

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter

Just wondering why the 24' box? If you are going for a big sleeper the 22', I Think would be the best bet. We've been in this for 2 years, and have never had a reason to use a liftgate. I always say go into the business over capitolized, and you won't have problems down the road with major expenditures. Selling your house? Well good luck...
You are divesting yourself of the only asset that you have that will appreciate.

We are also ex semi owner operator drivers, and find that the straight truck is a much easier life on the road.

You can't fail in this business if -

o you find a good lease.

o you take care of your equipment.

o You keep up with the IRS.

o manage your fuel wisely (we installed a geberator).

Good luck in your endeavors..... :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I would strongly urge you to look at the Sterling 960 Express Cruiser. It is what I have and is an excellent truck. I would be glad to email you a group of photos if you wish. I also urge you to call Jon Mosier at Freightliner of Knoxville, 800-443-2324, as they are serious about expediting trucks and he is a stand up guy. I got my truck from him and am very pleased. I looked at an International prior to this truck and did not see as much value in it. Also, do not buy a tag axle until a few months down the road. One, you may find you don't need it and more importantly two, you pay a huge extra tax if you get it already installed on the new truck. Good luck.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

sylvester

Expert Expediter

One more time, thank you for the sincere replies. Drove cross country for ten years as an O/O. The attitudes of the public, loading docks and dispatchers became so negative we hung it up.
After 8 years off were ready to come back. Almost purshased another semi but ran into one of your's at the dealership. After a very long supper with the driver, we decided to look into this further. If you are going to commit so much, by choosing this type of a profesion, respect means a lot. From what we have witnessed over the last year, expeditors recieve just that and tractor trailer drivers still are looked down on by the general public.
As for selling the house. This was not an easy dicision. Being on the road for two or three month's at a time, we felt the house would get too neglected. Also would make a good target for burglary. We have close family in Florida, California and Missouri, who would gladly put us up whenever we were in the area.
Back to the truck. Fed Ex, Panther and Con-Way are at the top of our list. Going over the replies, this is what we should consider when specing the truck. 22ft, 96 sleeper, no lift gate, no reefer and have a tag axle. Now the million dollar question, what make of truck? If it were a semi, it would be another 770 hands down.
Thanks again.
Sylvester

silverdollar

Expert Expediter

If I were just starting out I would get a class 8 tractor and strech(sp) the frame, you will have a lot less problems.if you go with a straight truck you will probaly have to streach the frame anyway.