New DPF

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I just had the DPF changed out in "08 Cascadia with Detroit 60 series engine.
At 557,000 miles, I had a check engine light come on and pulled into Tom Nehl Freightliner in Lake City FL. They saw code for "Ash Clean Request", and determined it was time for new filter.
I was able to see the DPF assembly, and I have to say, it's a lot bigger and more complex than I imagined.
The tech told me he was surprised I got that many miles out of the filter, which was the original. He said typically 400K is about the norm.
Besides the check engine light, I noticed a loss of power going up some steep hills in northern N.C last week.
As for cost, they did a core exchange. A new filter is about 2,000.00, but a reman with core exchange was 900.00 plus labor, which is what I got.

Last edited:

scampo77

Rookie Expediter
If you shop around you can find radiator shops that can clean and replace your old one for half that price.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Tom Nehl is my local Freightliner dealer. I have found them to be fair, competent and reasonable for a Freightliner Dealership.
I prefer North Florida Truck parts, the shop across the street for most of my repairs and service. Better prices and a couple of really good mechanics.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
My old filter was falling apart. ( Tech showed me) That, and the high mileage,the trucks owner decided to have it replaced. In the future, I will have it cleaned more frequently. Tech told me about every 200k- 250k miles between cleaning.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I felt it was important to go to a dealer in this case, or at least an engine shop. The final step after replacing filter was to do a regen in order to calibrate the ECM. I'm not sure if this is done after a clean-out, but this final step may require some software that an independent shop might not have. JMO.