New - could use some advice on ~three things

steppen

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi, I am new to cargo van driving and could use some advice. I will try to keep it brief. Thanks a lot of your advice.

1. I have three dogs. (15 lb and two 30 lb dogs). Can they come with me?
2. I am looking to buy a van. What do you all recommend?
3. I like the idea of working when I want to as I want to be part of my daughter's live and not gone all the time. Is it possible to be back every weekend? Is it possible to be gone for ~3 days (contract) and take a few days off?

Thanks again.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi, I am new to cargo van driving and could use some advice. I will try to keep it brief. Thanks a lot of your advice.

1. I have three dogs. (15 lb and two 30 lb dogs). Can they come with me?
2. I am looking to buy a van. What do you all recommend?
3. I like the idea of working when I want to as I want to be part of my daughter's live and not gone all the time. Is it possible to be back every weekend? Is it possible to be gone for ~3 days (contract) and take a few days off?

Thanks again.
1. Not a good idea. Many places you will be delivering to are not good places for animals.

2. A good low mileage used van.

3. Working when you want to is an idea that many newbies express, but is not being truthful. In this business, you have to work when the freight is moving. If you don't, shippers will find someone that will, and you loose.

Reactions: Turtle

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To keep it brief, No. This is not for you. You need to be home every night for your daughter. Expediting is being gone for a few weeks at a time and then home for a week. You'll make as much at $15 an hour for Walmart as driving a van and be home every night. Good luck.

Reactions: Turtle