New CO.Chain Las

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Check this out, I was there over the past week. I tried to buy chains but no one had them yet and many shops were not aware of the new law. Layoutshooter

A few changes have been made to Colorado’s chain law in recent months in hopes of improving travel along the I-70 corridor and throughout Colorado. First, all commercial vehicles operating on I-70 between Edwards (milepost 163) and Golden (milepost 259) between September 1st to May 31st must carry sufficient chains to be in compliance with the Colorado chain law.

Those that do not comply with Colorado’s chain law will now have to pay a more substantial fine. The fine for not carrying chains between mileposts 163 and 259 on the I-70 corridor during the specified time season is $50 plus a surcharge. The fine for not chaining up when the chain law is in effect is $500 with a surcharge. The fine for not chaining up and subsequently blocking the highway is $1,000 plus a surcharge. The former penalty for failing to chain up was a $100 fine and $15.60 surcharge, and $500 and $78 when failure to comply results in a highway lane closure.