New Assistant Systems for Vans

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
New Assistant Systems for Vans | MYVAN

At the TecForum 2013, Mercedes-Benz Vans presents a range of new assistance sytems, offering an initial glimpse of the safety technology of the near future. The Crosswind Assist system for vans celebrated its world premiere at the event. The Collision Prevention Assist, Blind Spot Assist, and Highbeam Assist will also be available in vans soon, where they will be supplemented by Lane Keeping Assist. All those electronic helpers will support the driver and prevent accidents.

The Crosswind Assist almost completely offsets the effects of crosswind on vehicles. It reduces driver stress, as motorists no longer have to steer against sudden gusts of wind. Crosswind Assist is based on the standard-fitted Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and is activated at speeds of 80 km/h and more.

The Lane Keeping Assist gives warning of unintended lane changes. The system includes a mounted camera behind the windshield that films the lane up ahead. The camera is connected to an electronic control unit that continuously measures the recorded data in order to identify the lane and the associated markings by analyzing the differences in contrast. If the van is about to cross the lane markings without the use of a turn indicator, the control unit will consider this to be unintended lane departure and sound an alarm to notify the driver.

The new Blind Spot Assist system is activated at speeds of 30 km/h or more. The system uses four short-range radar sensors, which are located on the left and right-hand sides at the height of the lateral rub panels. The sensors are positioned in the area of the B-pillar, from where they scan the adjacent lanes. If the sensor detects a car or motorcycle in the driver’s blind spot while traveling, a red warning signal lights up in the exterior mirror on the side where the vehicle is located. If the safety system detects that the driver wants to change lanes despite warning, it will also sound an alarm.

The radar-based proximity warning assistant helps drivers maintain a safe distance from vehicles up ahead. A radar sensor in the front bumper continuously measures the distance to any vehicle traveling ahead in the same lane as well as the relative speeds between the two vehicles. On the basis of this data, the proximity warning assistant determines how great the distance should be to ensure safety. If the distance from a vehicle up ahead drops to one fourth or less of the required braking distance, the assistance system flashes a light in the instrument cluster to warn the driver. The flashes become more frequent and an alarm sounds if the likelihood of a collision is increasing because the distance continuous to drop and the traffic situation remains unchanged.

The new Highbeam Assist system is a first for the van sector. The system switches on and off in accordance with the present situation to ensure that the road is optimally at all times.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I remember the headlight feature on Grandpa's Caddies in the '50's.
The lane assist, and blind spot sensors are available as low cost add-on's.
The Crosswind Assist fascinates me.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What about the club sandwich assist? Hmmm, maybe it's time to pick somewhere to eat.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I ran a dedicated route. At 2am I would pick up 2 Subway Sandwiches on a roll that was easy to eat with one hand.
As I wheeled thru the truckstop I would always think my autoshift was a club sandwich assist.