New and obviously STUPID

Discussion in 'The Welcome Center' started by paintchips, Dec 4, 2018.

1. paintchips

paintchips New Recruit Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys have worked construction for the past 15 years and subcontracted for the last 6(air conditioning to be specific). I got tired of the up and downs of this trade, I guess you could say burnt out, and decided to do something new and when I say new I mean “stupid”. I purchased a 26’ box truck with lift & a cargo van without know enough to do it. Now I know it’s really not smart what I did. But what makes things worse is that I’m now struggling to pay all of my bills and I’m using credit cards to pay right now. I have 4 kids and a wife and somehow I talked her into going along with it. Needless to say I am....excuse me WE are in a huge bind right now. I am begging for some advise from any and all. I fully realize how ignorant of a choice I made so please do t be too harsh. But my question is, what is the best way to utilize these vehicles for the most money. I’m very very desperate right now, so please HELP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FlyingVan
    Barefooter

FlyingVan Moderator Staff Member Owner/Operator

Ratings:
    +1,737 / 9 / -0
    Carrier:
    Load One
    Vehicle:
    Straight Truck
    The best way would be to sell the 2 vehicles even if you do it at a loss and go back to what you know (air conditioning.)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • BigStickJr

BigStickJr Veteran Expediter Retired Expediter

Ratings:
      +2,456 / 15 / -1
      Is this before, or after, he beats the crap out of the guy that told him this was a good idea?
      And I definitely agree with Flying Van.

• Like Like x 1
    • Tobster317
      Confused

Tobster317 Seasoned Expediter Owner/Operator

Ratings:
      +151 / 1 / -0
      Carrier:
      PTL
      Vehicle:
      Str8 Truck
      If you can’t sell them now. I’m guesssing your box is 26K. You can look for locale work delivery. Or see if you can get a driver for one of them and you go back to what you know.

• LDB

LDB Veteran Expediter Retired Expediter

Ratings:
      +3,504 / 8 / -1
      Vehicle:
      Recliner
      You are the poster child for what I say all the time. My response may seem a bit harsh but it's meant to stop others from falling down the same hole. Good luck getting out of this.

How long did it take you to become an A/C guy? How much training and studying? Compared to that how much time did you spend researching trucking and expediting?

What company do you have your truck and van signed with? That can make a huge difference in how successful you are.

Who is driving these vehicles?

What are the exact specs of the vehicles? Year/make/model/engine/trans/fuel? Does the truck have a sleeper?

Plus one more for get out as soon as you can and go back to what you know that probably pays better and definitely puts you home in your own bed every night.

For anyone else reading this thread, if you don't do HUGE amounts of research and studying BEFORE getting into expediting/trucking you are making a HUGE mistake. Expediting is a career. There is no career that doesn't need hundreds of hours of education and training to be qualified, competent and successful. For expediting that is reading back a minimum of 3 years in the General, Newbies, Recruiter, Carrier and Truck forums. Every single thread title for a minimum of 3 years. For every thread that sounds remotely applicable to you then you read every word of every post. There'll be a lot of fluff but you'll pick up a lot. Once you've done that you'll know enough to ask good questions specific to you and your exact needs and goals. Once you get all those answered then you'll know enough to be qualified at the apprentice level and make a good and valid decision of whether this is a good career for you to pursue. Anything less is pissing in the wind and wondering why the rain hitting you smells bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1