new and need info.

gatorjr2005

Expert Expediter
Hello,

i found this site a few days ago and have read a few of the forum here and would like to try my hand at this business.To be honest i am not interested in semi or straight truck i would like to run a van.currently i own i 96 ford cargo van 3/4 ton with low miles and is very nice and clean van (which is just collecting dust in the drive way at the moment)is this a vehicle i can use to get started with? Currently i have no CDL,what CDL is required to run a van? and if needed where do i get one in TN and how difficult is it to abtain.are there any carriers in my area that i can go with,and do they really need to be in this area,i read a post about a guy that was based 600 mile from the carrier he was using and he said where you are based does not matter?as i said i have never drove to make a living is this a draw back for me?is there any carriers out there that can send me info pack. that may be of help?willing to give my address in to and recruters willing to help.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
You don't have to live close to the carrier.Heck me and Highway Star didn't even live in the same country as ours.The age of the vehicle could be a problem.
Shop around and talk to the recruiters.Have a list of questions already written up. Don't be afraid to ask them the tough guestions or even ones that you feel might be stupid.It doesn't do them or you any good if you sign on and then find out it's not a good match.No company is right for everybody and there are plenty of companies recruiting.So take your time and pick the one that is best for you.Good luck.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Gator,

Welcome to our world. This site is definitely the place to gather facts and compile information about a possible career in expediting. All the companies that sponsor this site have recruiters available to answer questions and help get you pointed in the right direction. Feel free to make some calls to get the ball rolling.
Best Wishes,

Scott

gatorjr2005

Expert Expediter
why is the age of the vehicle a issue(as long as it is nice,clean,and good working order)? heck i seen a 2005 ford cargo van the thing looks like my 96' ,ford has not changed the body style and if they did must of been a small change. I heard some carriers run the sprinters i seen the cost of them things 33,000 on up to 46,000 so are carriers requiring O/O to get a new van every few yrs if its a sprinter, seem like all your money will be going to pay for the vans?